Chapter 19- New Beginnings

It was much earlier than she had anticipated. The light of day was nowhere to be found, instead only a dim darkness awaited them as she walked besides Kami. The sky was still dark, even though the night was no longer at full effect. The morning breeze was cool just enough to send a shiver through her arms.

She wrapped her arms around herself and let out a couple of deep breaths. "It's a little early for this don't you think?"

Kami turned his head to face her and replied. "It's better if we start earlier, I have a feeling the others will want to find us once they wake up."

"Is that a problem."

"I asked Elizabeth to send them on the wrong track for a while. I would rather avoid any confrontation."

What did he mean by that? She shrugged and decided not to persist any more on the subject. Last night they had set up camp outside the towns limits. No one really insisted on why that was considering the towns condition. Now that she thought about it though, there was still the unanswered reason as to why the town was in such a horrid condition. She felt there must be a reason.

"Kami."

"What is it?"

"When we asked earlier why the town was in such a condition, you didn't answer. Is it something you're keeping a secret or do you just not know?"

Again, he lingered in the silence while the walked through the open field. She thought he would not answer again but eventually he spoke. "They were attacked."

"That much is obvious, by who?"

"A certain group we're looking into."

"A group? Are they bandits?"

"You could say that."

She frowned, he seemed to want to cut the conversation short. He knew more than he was letting on, but why wouldn't he tell her. Deciding that it was best to earn his trust slowly she spoke no more of it until they eventually came to a stop.

Kami turned to face her; his face was beaming with what looked like excitement. "We'll be training here."

She looked around, sure enough the town and the rest of the group was no longer in sight. They had walked off for about half an hour so they were obviously a distance away from them. She wondered what this training Kami was going to do with her than required them to be so far.

"What exactly are we going to be doing?"

"I should explain first." Kami raised his finger and a slight grin filled his face. "If you remember, during our little confrontation back in the springs, I had mentioned my stats were abnormally low."

That was true, she had not really thought about it until now, since despite him saying so, it had been easy for him to overpower Hiromichi and easily stand to fight versus Himari and Thief. No one really showed their combat prowess too much, even when he had attacked her. That also helped remind her of something confusing.

"Hey I remember a notification appearing saying I had been challenged. Something about my passive [Luck] being stripped by the King."

"That is correct, in fact, the challenge is still active." he responded.

"H-huh?"

"Once a challenge has been made, I can no longer cancel it. It's over until either you or I die, or one of us surrender."

"H-huh? Does that mean I'll lose my [Luck] passive?!"

"Or I my [Aura of King's Will] to you."