이십팔: TWISTED PLAY OF FATE

Verdant trees lined at the sides of the path that Seokjin and Joobin had been ambling on together, were providing an unusual kind of tranquility to them

Verdant trees lined at the sides of the path that Seokjin and Joobin had been ambling on together, were providing an unusual kind of tranquility to them. Stealing periodical glances at each other sheepishly, the couple would mindlessly tighten their grip over each other's hands every time their eyes met. Even though the process got repetitive after a while, the intensity it carried did not wane a tad— and both of them could not help but laugh over it.

Walking quietly as they continued to breathe in the serenity furthermore, Seokjin stopped on his tracks in an abrupt manner, turning to face Joobin all pumped up, "This, is the place I call my first school." Joobin nodded in acknowledgement, never once letting her smile slip off her lips.

"I see you can't wait to go inside. This makes me happy, thank yo—"

"No, thank you, Joobin. I didn't know I wanted to look back in time. I had developed an aversion for it. But now, look at me all... electrified to be doing the same! I can't believe it." Seokjin exclaimed, genuinely blissful in even he did not know how long.

Joobin decided to let the silence linger between them for some more time, for the contentment it had brought, simply could not compare to the one produced by exchange of words. It was different, and made her feel a lot better. Beaming yet again, she intertwined her fingers in Seokjin's, ushering him to lead her into the structure.

Children chirping left and right induced an exceptional euphoria within both Joobin and Seokjin— laced with heartache for the latter to be more precise. He could not restrain himself from thinking about Jinjoo at such a sight of life which his precious daughter equally deserved to lead, but could not, due to the twisted play of fate. Seokjin wanted to let himself flow with his overwhelming emotions, but doing that would wind up pressurizing Joobin— who had no inkling of what had happened to her daughter, whose vestiges she had apparently ended up erasing from her memories.

Amidst all that whirring of unwelcomed thoughts, a voice called the pair from behind, bewildering Seokjin at a mere view of its possessor.

"Oh my God, aren't you Kim Jinjoo's parents?" Their addressee gaped, sprouting with even more questions once she resumed, "It's been a year since we last met. How is Jinjoo doing? Is she holding up well at her new school?"

 How is Jinjoo doing? Is she holding up well at her new school?"