삼: THE SLEEPING BEAUTY

"What do you mean he was not following me? Why else would he try to run away when I confronted him?"

"I don't have an idea, ma'am. That's something we'll get to know only when he wakes up. Though what I know at the moment about this man right here is that he lives in the same street as you. The CCTV recordings back the fact. He has been spotted going to and fro the same lane from the past one month."

Seokjin did not know if it had not been for those grumblings piquing his hearing abilities, what would have become of him.

Stumbling upon to exchange gazes with the one whom he had thought would never show up before him again, only Seokjin knew how badly he was struggling the entire time to keep count of his racing heartbeat and tripping breaths. Even before everything tended to turn black for Seokjin, he had striven his best to elope from the situation that was so keen on engulfing him. However, experiencing getting knocked down thrice with an iron lid, and yet not ending up with extreme blood loss was a matter so boast worthy for Seokjin that the myriad of unfavorable memories that had been troubling him till then, got overpowered by a sigh saturated with relief.

And he fluttered his eyes open.

"Oh, so the Sleeping Beauty's awake finally." Joobin commented distastefully, side-eyeing Seokjin in annoyance.

"Officer I—" An unanticipated lump choked Seokjin mid-speech once he directed his line of sight towards Joobin, the very face evoking tears to accumulate in his eyes. Though Seokjin was quick to react, for he had sucked in the tears before they could unleash themselves.

"I won't be pressing charges against this lady, Officer. I totally understand why she misinterpreted the situation... nevertheless, I'm ready to let her go." Seokjin tugged his lips into a smile, effortlessly convincing the cop before him not to take the matter seriously.

"Excuse me, what—"

"We had already taken your fingerprints while you were unconscious, and had figured out that whatever happened... it indeed was a misunderstanding. Both of you parties may reconcile on your own now. I'll be taking my leave, then." The policeman stood up swiftly, not forgetting to pass a smile to the couple before walking away.

"Officer, you too?" Joobin exclaimed incredulously as she trailed the departing man's silhouette, choosing to swerve her gaze to her offender only when she could no longer spot the former.

She gaped when she did not see what she had expected to, slamming her forehead slightly due to the amalgamation of vexation and regret that she was undergoing.

The seat beside her had already been vacated before she could take notice of it.