124- Shading Tutorial

Ahahaha.

Aha.

Ha.

H.

I completely forgot to update.

*

Tbh I'm in a very shitty mood today (which is very unusual since I have almost infinite patience) so it's kinda hard to be funny.

Sorry.

*

So I'll post that shading tutorial instead.

Now, I don't pride myself on shading, neither have I gone through any shading/colour theory or stuff so this might not be what you like.

If you're here from DWR (which, I presume most of you are) then you know I love experimenting with different colouring styles including Copic, Airbrush, etc.

I'll be showing the most basic of basic styles-

*

Before you start painting, ALWAYS remember to keep the line art layer on topmost of your entire artwork

Before you start painting, ALWAYS remember to keep the line art layer on topmost of your entire artwork. Else the colouring will, in generic terms, go 'out of the line'.

The first step is easy enough, paint everything in the most basic colour. No shading. No blending.

Remember to separate every different colour into layers. For example, if it's light pink for hair, once you're done, add another layer on top/bottom and then start painting the skin. Then, for the eyes, add another layer and so on. I'll tell you why in a second.

Now, the character has sorta two coloured hair, so I painted the base layer of the hair light pink and then, used a white-coloured airbrush to just go over the middle area.

If you're wondering how on earth I managed to shade it without getting out, then you probably don't know the concept of clipping. I suggest you first watch some videos on that, but I'm explaining it in short.

Remember when I told you to separate every colour into different layers? Yeah, it makes it easier to shade/ add effects?

Take the base layer, add another layer on top and use the option 'clipping'. This makes sure that whatever colour you paint on the clipped layer (on top of the base layer) will not get out of the coloured layer below. (Does this even make sense-)

Use this concept on EVERY. SINGLE. ELEMENT.

I do not use 'blur' or 'smudge' for blending large areas since it, well, basically ruins the entire thing and gives it a very, how do I explain this, blurred look?