Chapter 12: Tofu Noodle Soup

Start from the beginning

Salty tears dripped into the just-as-salty broth. The thought of being forced back to that house again was terrifying. It would be even worse now, after Robin had gotten a sweet taste of freedom, than before, when he only knew the bitter taste of captivity. At least when he was a child, he always had Des around to confide in. But now he would be all alone in a prison made of broken dreams and unfulfilled wishes.

"You mean if you don't want to study accounting and take over your father's company?" Des asked.

Robin shook his head, although he didn't particularly want to do either of those things either, he was willing to make that sacrifice for a life in freedom. If only he could stay in school, he was willing to study any subject required of him. Even Interpretative Dance, although it was unlikely that he would have much talent in the field.

"No, there's something else... Something I can't tell her."

"Do you want to tell me?" Des asked, patting Robin's leg with her hand in a soothing manner. "You know you can tell me anything."

Robin took a deep breath. It was time. Time to tell someone. Someone who would understand.

"I-I," he stuttered, his eyes focused on a piece of floating tofu. "I'm... I'm gay." He peered over at his friend as the revelatory word sneaked out between his lips.

The word was so small, yet so huge. Just saying it seemed to take a boulder of worry off his shoulders. The word didn't glitter and ache like his emotions, but it did convey an identity that started to feel like his own. One day, he could maybe own that word.

A nod and a smile met his gaze. Then arms wrapped around him in a warm embrace. "So you're... fine with that?" Robin asked, wanting to make sure this revelation didn't change anything between them.

Des leaned back slightly and reached her hand out to tousle Robin's hair. "Of course I am, dummy," she said. "I'm just glad you finally told me."

Robin looked at her, confused. "Finally?" he asked.

"Well, I noticed the way you used to ogle Tristan back in high school. You weren't exactly discreet, Robin."

He looked up at her with a cautious smile. "I guess I wasn't," he mumbled.

"You know..." Des started and tapped her fingers on the back of Robin's hand. "Tyler asked for you in school, both today and yesterday."

Just hearing the name made brought back memories of the other night. Memories of soft marshmallow kisses. Robin's blood pumped fast and his pulse raced. It felt like he'd eaten about a dozen donuts. Which of course reminded him of Tyler even more.

Des smiled upon seeing his reaction. "You like him, right?" she asked. "I mean, you can barely take your eyes off him in class."

Robin nodded with emphasis. "I like him. I like him so damn much. I can't even describe how I feel around him." In his mind, he relived that night on the soccer field again. The events didn't seem possible to capture with words. It had been pure magic. "We kissed."

Des burst into a big smile upon the revelation. She looked like an excited anime character. "You kissed?!" she squeed and shook Robin's shoulder.

A smile graced Robin's lips when he thought of the kiss. So soft, so deep, so free. His smile washed away as he thought of what had happened after the kiss. "We did kiss. But I messed everything up afterward." He buried his face in his hands. "I panicked and backed away. I must have hurt Tyler. He probably hates me now."

"I don't think Tyler hates you. He sounded worried about you when I talked to him. You should call him. Tell him what happened. I think he'll understand."