Chapter 10

I wake early to the sun shining through the window. Squinting as my eyes adjust to the light, I look over at the dresser that I used to set Hedwig's cage on top of. She is not with me this summer and I miss her a lot.

I left her with Ron for the summer because the Dursley's hate her and will often force me to keep her locked up in the past. Since Ron doesn't really have a proper owl to himself I left Hedwig with him thinking that he could use her to write to me but it is over a week into summer vacation and I haven't heard from him yet.

I try to forget about it and not let it get me down. It hadn't really been that long anyways there was still time. I haven't heard from Sirius or Hermione yet either but I know that it can be difficult for them to contact me as much.

Sirius is still a fugitive and is in hiding and Hermione doesn't have her own owl. I offered to let her keep Hedwig for the summer but she declined because she said she had enough to take care of with Crookshanks.

I notice that there is a mirror and what looks like a chocolate bar sitting atop the dresser. I know that this wasn't there last night so I get out of bed to investigate it. Maybe Dudley had left something as a prank.

Once I get closer, I notice that it is indeed a chocolate bar but it is from Hogsmead so there is no way that it came from Dudley. When I pick the chocolate bar up off of the small hand held mirror, I see a piece of paper with a short note scribbled on it.

When I read the note I instantly smile, its from Sirius. I knew he wouldn't forget about me. The note says that the mirror connects to another one that Sirius has and I can use it to talk to him.

I am eager to try out the mirror and see if it works so I grab the honeydukes chocolate and sit back on my bed before calling out to the mirror, "Sirius?" Tentatively. There is no response but I try again, "Sirius, Sirius, are you there?"

"Prongslet?" Sirius's grinning face appears in the mirror. "It is so good to hear from you, I am glad you got the mirror." He rubs his eyes slightly, he looks as if he is just waking up.

I feel a sense of guilt creep over me. I didn't mean to disturb his sleep, I was just very eager to talk to him. "Sorry, did I wake you?"

"It's fine, was hoping you would. It is really great to talk to you."

"How did you get the mirror here?" I ask Sirious suspiciously. I knew that Sirius is in hiding and not supposed to be moving around in public. The mirror just appear over night and I was worried that Sirius snuck in and brought it. Part of me hopes that Sirius didn't take such a risk just to get the mirror to me and a small part is disappointed that I didn't get to see Sirius in person.

"Dobby helped me."

"Dobby?" I am surprised.

"Yeah. I needed a way to get it to you without anyone noticing and people often over look house elf magic. They can be powerful. He really cares about you and was eager to help the great Harry Potter." The last part was said in a teasing tone.

I groan, "Stop it. I keep trying to get him to call me Harry but he refuses." Sirius only chuckles in response to my frustration. "Thank you for the chocolate." I say to change the subject. I mean it though, food at the Dursley's can be terrible and I definitely don't get any sweets so this is a relief.

"Your welcome. Although I wish I had some time to prepare something better. I only thought of using the mirrors as communication last minute so I just grabbed something I had lying around to give you. It is pretty risky to deliver stuff to you because we don't want to get Voldemort's attention."

"Oh." I pause for a moment, I guess I should have expected this, what with Voldemort being back and all. "Is that why I haven't heard from anyone?"

"Yeah." Sirius sighs, "There is a lot going on right now. I am pretty isolated and Dumbledore will not tell me every thing so I don't know the specifics but I think your friends might be pretty busy."

"Why am I not busy?" I lash out in frustration. "I am the one that defeated Voldemort yet I am just sitting around hiding like a coward."

"Calm down Harry."

"Sorry." I feel bad. I know that this isn't Sirius's fault and he is in a very similar situation so I should be taking out my anger on him.

"It's okay. I get your frustration but Dumbledore said that you need to stay at the Dursley's because of some special protection. I would much rather you stay with me but he is very insistent about this and we have no choice but to trust him on this matter."

"Fine. Maybe I have to stay here, but he still will not tell me anything. I am the one that Voldemort is after. I saw him being resurrected, but I don't know anything about what is going on. Dumbledore only ever gives vague answers to my questions."

"I think they are just trying to protect you. It is not something that a kid should be involved in." Sirius says softly.

"I am not a kid." I feel betrayed. I had thought that Sirius was one of the few that actually treated me with respect and not with pity like a fragile object. "I have faced down Voldemort several times. So much for that so called protection." I fail to keep the bitterness out of my voice. I know that they are right. No eleven year old should have to fight the wraith of an evil dark lord trying to kill him that possessed his defense teacher and no twelve year old should be forced to kill a basilisk trying to kill controlled by a memory of said dark lord, but I was long past that and sick of being treated like a kid.

"I know." Sirius's eyes water, "I am sorry." His voice cracks, on the verge of tears, Sirius continues, "I am sorry I didn't protect you. I should have been there for you, you should have never had to go through this stuff. I am sorry, I don't deserve to be your godfather. I failed you." A few silent tears fall before he wipes them away.

"Don't say that. You're the best godfather I could have asked for."

"That's sweet of you to say Harry but I did fail you. I left you."

"I know you didn't mean to. How could you have predicted that Peter was going to frame you. What matters now is that you are here. I love talking to you and I want you to be my godfather."

"Thank you, Harry." He gives me a slight smile. "And I understand your frustration. As much as I wish I could protect you and keep you from all of this, I know it is too late."

"So you will tell me what is going on?" I say hopefully.

"Yes." He nods, "You are right this does involve you and you deserve to be prepared. While I don't know much about the current situation, I think that you should know a little more about what happened in the past. "It is a long story and you should probably get some food first. Let's talk again around ten."

"Okay" The call ends and I set the mirror down. I am excited to finally gets some more information but I can't forget the haunted look in Sirius's eye whenever he speaks of the past.