Chapter 7

I stumble out of a fireplace, coughing slightly from the smoke, into a dimly lit pub. Tonks comes tripping out of the fireplace and catches herself from falling by gripping onto my shoulder. She quickly lets go and and brushes herself off, looking down slightly embarrassed.

"Where are we headed?" I say cheerfully, trying to convince her that I am not a mini dark lord in the making using my signature Percy charm.

"Just follow me." She says, clearly wanting to be done with this as soon as possible.

We exit the back of the pub and face a large brick wall. Tonks pulls out her wand and taps a brick. Immediately after her wand touch the brick, the bricks begin to part revealing a large cobbled street filled with shops and people dressed in wizard robes.

I resist the urge to gawk at all of the unfamiliar magical sights as I follow Tonks through the magical alley. I was doing my best to pretend that I belonged there and I wasn't seeing this for the first time like Dumbledore told me but inside I was amazed. I know the Annabeth would love this place and all of the old looking buildings.

We stop in frond of an old looking shop with the name Olivander writer in large script across the front. "This is it." Tonks gestures towards the building, "You can go in to get the wand your self."
"Uh. I don't have any pounds." I wince at my incompetence.

"The wizarding world uses a different currency than the muggle world. There are gallons, sickles, and Knut." Tonks continues to explain an exchange rate for this currency and I did not follow any of it. While it was better than English class, I still didn't do great in math.

Tonks hands me a pouch she says Dumbledore gave her to pay for my wand and sends me inside.

A bell jingles as I open the door to the small stop and see an old man sitting on the stool behind the counter. "Um. My name is Percy." I tell him. The man's gazes was unnerving and for a moment I spaced out and forgot what Dumbledore told me to say.

"Hello Percy." The man spoke in a soft voice, "Are you looking for a wand."

"Oh right" I snap back to reality "I, uh, lost my last one and I need a replacement."

"hmm." He peers over his spectacles at me with a disapproving stare.

"Well I will do my best to find a wand suited for you but there is no true replacement for one's first wand. What was your former wand?" He asks me.

Shit. I didn't know he would ask this so I didn't ave an answer prepared. "I forgot it." I say sheepishly, praying to the gods that he believes me.

"You forgot your first wand." He states in a disapproving tone.

"Y-yes. Sorry."

"Very well then. I suppose we should start. What is your wand hand?"

Wand hand? I have no idea what he is talking about, I must look like a fool. My main sword hand is my right hand and I assume that the wand might be similar so I tell him that.

He pulls out a floating measure tape that flies over me and starts pulling out wands from the back in a blur.

The next few minutes are a flurry of wands and explosions. I guess I really do have magic. By the time he is satisfied with a wand that let out sea green sparks when I first held it, I am exhausted. I hand him the coins in the pouch of money and exit the shop to where Tonks is waiting for me.
"All good." She asks.

I nod and she takes off back towards the entrance. I scramble to keep up with her. Luckily for me, her pink hair makes her easy to follow in a crowd. She leads back to the pub that I now know is called the Leaky Cauldron and tells me to return to Sirius's myself so she can return to work.