CHAPTER 4: Bonding

I woke up in the middle of the night drowsy unable to open my eyes fully. With my lid barely open I saw a dimly lit room with a flash of blue moonlight in front of the wall that must be coming from the window.

I forced myself to stand while my eyes claimed shut stubborn in my awakening.

I felt a heavy hand at the back my head forcing me to lean sideways toward a hard pillow. I wast to fight the intruder but the clamness that washed over me made me feel even more sleepy.

"You look beautiful. Regally beautiful Love. I can't believe I can miss you this much without ever being with you." I heard someone whispered on my ears with a hand on my back rubbing it up and down.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was all dark. To my right was a bedside table. I looked up and noticed a chandelier.

The windows to my left illuminate the night sky. I glanced at my clock and it was exactly midnight. I really have to watch my sleep schedule. It's getting worse day by day.

Well, if I really have a choice, I'm probably asleep at 8 from exhaustion, but no, Miss Celia, the head of the orphanage, hates me for my 'vibe', whatever that means. As per request by hers truly, I will do extra cleaning duties from inside to outside the courtyard every day.

I reasoned that I have school and not to mention our bedtime. So, out of the 'goodness' of her heart, she transferred me to the attic. She told me that my bedtime is officially lifted, meaning I have no reason to deny her first 'request', which is more of an order.

Waking up in the middle of the night makes me frustrated. I need my sleep but my eyes, out of nowhere, always find their ways opening at exactly midnight. This has been happening for the past week.

At first, I thought it was a coincidence until yesterday. It's too much of a coincidence...

It's only been happening since I got transferred to the attic. The place is wide but not tall enough to accommodate my height, which is 5'2 and I'm 10 years old, by the way. I'm a little bit over my growth spurt.

As I was saying, the attic is wide. I've explored only half of it because the other half is Mrs. Conidia-Miss Celia's mother-quarter. Both our quarters are only separated by a thin wall.

Sometimes I can hear a murmur from the other side. But I didn't stay long enough to find out.

12 midnight: What's so special about it? I walked around until I reached the window. I sat in my little chair with my arms folded around the desk. I looked far away and spotted the moon. The moon is fascinating. I just don't know why I feel this way about the moon.

Once the clock strikes 1 o'clock, I can feel drowsiness in my system.

I woke up the next day in my bed. I can't remember ever going back to my bed. Maybe somebody transferred me? But that's not possible. No one is allowed in the attic aside from Miss Celia and Miss Conidia. None of the other orphan girls are my friends, but rather acquaintances.

If not me, who?

Nah, it must be me. Who else will it be?

It's 5 in the morning. It's my normal wake-up time. I don't even need to set an alarm clock; my body has gotten used to this routine for as long as I can remember.

I worked my way to my small bathroom. It's small but decent enough. A shower head on the left, a sink and a mirror in the middle, and a toilet on my right. I brushed my teeth. I took a nice shower.