CHAPTER 9: Chase

"Their audacity is enough to prove their tenacity, don't you think so?" Marco Santiago wailed, the prime legionnaire of the West. This meeting has been going on for an hour now. We proceed down the assembly hall after the extraordinary mind link that requests our presence.

At the head of the throne is Grigor Lykaios, the king of Lycan. His crown is embedded with the blessing of jewels from the Moon Goddess herself. Hundreds of wolves had worn the crown before him, from emperors to empresses. He was titled King because he only had a chance to take the throne due to an unfortunate circumstance. Tatiana's child would have been referred to as emperor or empress. Kings and queens are called honorary royals due to the end of heirs from the empire.

From the start of his reign, the main thing that changed was the symbolism of the labels. Instead of an empire, it was now called a kingdom. At first, the wolves are in doubt and in protest of this major change. Though most of them, if not all, abide and respect the reigning royals, some still do not consider them true Lycans. In short, wolves considered the late Empress Tatian their last leader. The current king and queen are just considered representatives for unity in the community despite their titles.

"They are just rogues!" General Gabe Foretana of the West countered. He's really brave or stupid to ever say anything against someone in a position higher than him. Especially in his kingdom, where Marco can swiftly remove his power of authority.

I sent my generals far east after I was notified that there was a rogue attack on our central city. Sitting on the left of the king is his queen, followed by me. The rest of the generals sat on thrones lower and smaller than those high ranking royals.

"Rogues that would fire a rage against royals?" Brody Smith questioned, the prime legionnaire of the South. His gray eyes twinkle with worry. Despite his massive body, he has the purest heart I have ever seen. He prays for the souls of those who have perished, and he whispers a silent prayer for forgiveness before he will slaughter anyone.

"I agree. Even if they have loose screws on their heads, they know that attack is a direct suicide." Samuel stated, prime legionnaire of the North. He is in his professional persona where his light blue eyes have no shade of humor that he usually has.

"Exactly, they are probably just doing that for the mere point of attention." West General Gabe Foretana added. At this point, he probably has a death wish. The crackers that he brought along make a noisy crunch every time he eats. Yep, he wants to die.

"I beg to disagree, general Gabe Foretana. I have been a general for 30 decades. Never was there an incident like this since the Olympus' undoing on the passing of the then empress Tatiana that caused packs' undoing, and rogues' blaring enough to show courage even in front of high-ranking wolves." General Boscov said while slightly frustrated with General Gabe's dismissive behavior. Lydia Boscov, his wife, seemed to be pleased with what her husband did. It is obvious that the incident yesterday is a clear raised flag of threat by the rogues.

I want to add about the Italian rogue I met that same night, but I would have to release the truth to everyone as to why and how it revolves around me. As much as I want to clear the air and make myself free of guilt, I have to bid my time away from the generals and confront the legionnaires and royals alone.

As General Boscov mentioned, this incident happened during the then Empress Tatiana's reign. It was devastating that thousands of our kind died. Rogues or not, that is sad. The attack was unplanned; there were no strategies or even direction; just a random collection of ruins. This is a worrying time because rogues have been raging fights from all over the world from various kingdoms. It was not taken seriously, but the incident yesterday was a clear indication that it should be treated otherwise.