My house is one of the biggest in the community. We aren't rich in any way shape nor form, but we aren't suffering. My father traveled on the farm work programme every year until last year and worked hard to ensure his family was secure.

Out of habit, I drag open the shower curtains and check to see that there is no one behind it.

I've heard too many duppy stories in my twenty-five years on earth.

A relieved sigh escapes my lips and I sit on the toilet to pee.

I shake my head to rid my mind of all the thoughts running rampant.

I am worried and so my mood isn't the best.

After brushing my teeth, while dancing naked in the mirror, I pull the shower curtains, step in, and turn on the shower.

I wince as the freezing cold water hits my body and races down to my feet. I hated having to hit the showers so early in the mornings, but I couldn't be bothered to warm any water on the stove this morning.

It takes time to do, and I was already running late.

Monday mornings are the worse.

After rinsing the toothpaste from my mouth, loving the aftertaste of the mint from the Colgate Triple Action, I lather my bath rag and apply it to my skin. It feels like forever as I stand underneath the showerhead basking in the feel of the no longer-so-cold water beating against my naked flesh.

Thoughts of my relationship and how it stands currently, my job, and my dormant social life floods my mind once more.

It was almost as if I was locked in a trance. Until a knock on the door startled me.

I turn off the shower and draw the curtains. "Mummy?"

No answer. Then I hear footsteps as if pacing back and forth.

I peek out through the shower stall. My mother and I are the only ones home, so my heart skips a beat when she doesn't answer.

I pull the bath towel from the rack and wrap it around my body. "Mummy, a you dat?"

"No, a duppy!" her answer comes. "Nuh muss mi; a who an' yuh deh yah?"

Whew!

"Oh," I say, instantly feeling calm.

"Come man, Manda, yah tek too long now. Hurry up and come out man. Yuh know how long mi waan shit!"

All them sum'n here now...

"Mummy! How yuh stay suh? Yuh caan use downstairs?"

"No! A shit yuh waan mi shit up miself...by time mi fi reach dung deh suh, mi dear, dis yah shit yah muss reach a grung..."

"Lawd, mummy! Yuh jus--" I start to say, but before I can finish, the bathroom door swings open and she bolts in.

"A dat wid you now eno, yuh always choose when mi in a the bathroom fi waan doo-do..." I try to scold her.

"Yuh lucky, yuh think mi ago keep up mi waste and kill mi self? Yuh think mi fool fool like da woman deh weh keep up har poop and kill harself front a di Queen? U mussi mad. A wah mi buy toilet fah?"

How dramatic. I roll my eyes. "No, but yuh could a at least wait until mi done bathe fi use the toilet."

"Look how long mi a wait. But it neva look like yuh plan fi come out...a mussi di whole sahara desert yuh a wash offa yuh skin!"

I gasp, my face heating up. "Mummy, mek yuh tan suh? Jeez!"

She grins. "A mi ma birth mi!"

And her shit so stink too!