𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟒

𝓚𝓻𝓲𝓼𝓽𝓲𝓷𝓮

𝓚𝓻𝓲𝓼𝓽𝓲𝓷𝓮

"Thank you." My hand reached for the sharpener in his hand.

"No problem", he replied in a monotone voice.

I started sharpening my pencil, while he pulled out the stool beside me and took a seat. After I was done, I placed the sharpener in front of him with a thankful smile. 

"Did you just walk in?"

"Yes", he answered, bringing out his sketchbook from his backpack. 

"15 minutes late. Interesting", I mumbled but audible enough for him to hear. 

"Is it?", he asked, glancing at me with an arched eyebrow. 

I just shrugged my shoulders and continued sketching. "I find even looking at a wall interesting, so don't mind me."

He said nothing. 

We both sketched in silence for the next 30 minutes. 

I didn't mind it. Working in silence helped me focus better. However, it would be better if I was allowed to plug in my air pods and listen to music. I'll ask our teacher if listening to music is allowed while working, next class. 

"What are you humming?"All of a sudden, Nicholas asked. 

"Hm?", I asked facing him. His eyes focused on his paper. 

"You were humming for the past 15 minutes."

"Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize I was -"

What was I even humming? 

"No need to apologize", he told. "Keep humming . . . . please", he said the last word softer than the others. 

Do I want to ask why? No, I don't.

I continued sketching in my book and hummed a tune I've familiarized myself with. It was one of my comfort songs and right now I just felt like humming it. Sometimes, accidentally, I sang a bit of the lyrics too. Fortunately, I sang soft enough for only Nicholas to hear. 

Nope. No. Not, fortunately. I don't like singing in front of people I barely know. I only ever sang for my friends and family. I think I sound absolutely awful but my sister's always said the opposite.

"What are you humming?", he asked with his eyes still focused on his paper. 

"A song, that I like."

"I . . . . like your voice", he mumbled and I doubt he even realised he did. 

I almost broke into laughter but instead chuckled.

"You don't?"

"I don't what?", I asked as I grabbed a 5H pencil out of my kit.