She wasn't a soldier that wanted to hear that their sacrifice was making a difference. She wasn't a comrade who willingly signed up to die for a country and devote their heart to a cause.

She was the woman that he loved. The person he had given his heart to for as long as he could remember. She was his best friend, his lover, his comfort, his happiness, his wife.

What could he possibly say to bring her comfort, in her dying moments? When she didn't even know that not only was she dying, but likely, that the children she was working so hard to deliver were also dying.

He was snapped out of his trance by hearing Anya's scream as soon as the door opened, as Nathalie ordered her to push.

He ran to her side. He grabbed both her hands, and placed a soft kiss on her forehead. "I love you so much," his words started pouring out before he could even process what to say, or do. "I love you so much, and I have always loved you," his eyes met hers, and he saw the pain she was in. He could see the tears streaming down her face as Nathalie barked orders she immediately complied with. But still, he could see the tenderness there, and like instinct, her arms wrapped around him and brought him close, as if to assure him in spite of her screaming and crying, that she loved him too. That she loved him more than anything and anyone, and that nothing could change how much she loved him.

She held him there for a moment, as she felt his warmth and comfort pouring out on her.

The pain subsided for a moment, as Nathalie directed her to breathe. "I- I love you too," she spoke in his ear, and he admired the feel of her breath as she held him there - his face on her shoulder, as if to shield him from seeing what she was going through and what would likely happen to her. She knew she was close to the edge, and she knew she likely wasn't going to make it out of this. She wanted, more than anything, for the last thing she felt to be his kiss, and the last thing she saw to be his face, but she knew how that would hurt him, and that she needed to shield him from ever experiencing any more pain - however unavoidable it may be.

Yet, she couldn't. She had to see his face, even if it was just for that one last, sweet time.

"Look at me," she ordered, her voice raspy from the screaming, as the pain started radiating through her again and he complied, pressing their foreheads together as his eyes met hers for what she likely knew would be the last time. But yet, she smiled, as a million thoughts ran through her mind but yet she could only think of one thing to say. "You are going to be the best dad,"

"I-"

He was cut off by her lips pressing to his for the sweetest passing moment, as she tried to pour every feeling for him into that sweet, soft kiss. There was no fight for dominance with their tongues - only his lips, warm and dry and chapped - meeting hers. One of his hands found the back of her head, and he let out a soft sob as he felt her lips pull away from what was likely to be their last kiss.

What a cruel, cruel irony, that so long ago they had each had their first kiss - shared with each other in a dark, dirty alleyway in the underground that gave them both so much hope for things to come and a life together.

And that her last kiss would be with him still, this time in a clean, sterilized hospital room, as she gave birth to their children, knowing she would likely never see them grow or have that future they planned for and dreamed of.

She felt that same pain again, the sensation of her insides being ripped apart. A scream escaped her lungs, and as Levi's hands cupped her face she saw the tears pouring from his eyes. The pain went on, and on, and on as he continued to look into her tender eyes of crystal blue that fluttered close every time she threw her head back and tensed, and screamed.