Forty Eight: Complete

R O S A

"Caitie, can I ask you something?"

Umupo ako sa buhangin habang abala sya sa paghuhukay ng buhangin.

"Yeah, sure!"

Sagot nya.

"Why did you call me your other mom the first time we met?"

Bigla syang napalingon sa akin.

"Because, I saw your picture on mom's stuffs."

"And then?"

"She got mad at me for being nosy, and in the middle of the night, she walked in my room and laid beside me, she smelled funny and act funny. She told me that you're my other mom."

Tahimik lang akong nakinig sakanya.

"Why were you so happy when you found me?"

Tanong ko habang abala parin sya sa paglalaro sa buhangin.

"Because, I wanted to have another mom. Mommy wasn't like this before. She used to be so distant and sometimes won't notice me. But I've always felt missing her all day. I get sad when I wake up she's gone but I am soooo happy when she gets home."

Napangiti ako sa kwento ni Caitie. She's very sweet and matured.

"Why do you want another mom?"

"Because, I want my mom to be happy. I know she's dating Tita Karen, but I don't think she's happy."

"You seem to like Karen. Do you want her to be your mom too?"

She looked at me nang marinig ang tanong ko saka tumingin sa langit at halatang nag iisip.

"Uhm, I don't know. It's weird. Since mom told me about you, I've always pictured you as my other mom. Not Tita Karen."

Natawa nalang ako sa sinabi ni Caitie.

"Your mom's right about you being nosy."

Asar ko sakanya.

"My teachers said that I'm smart and very matured. Mom says so. Maybe that's why I'm nosy"

Natawa ako sa sinabi nya, parang kasing edad ko lang ang kausap ko and it's amazing. She's amazing. Raine is a great parent, I think. Pero sa tingin ko ay malungkot sya kapag mag isa lang. Sino ba namang hindi malulungkot mag isa.

"I think we have enough. Should we head back? I'm hungry."

Mabilis syang kumapit sa kamay ko at tumulay kami sa malalaking bato.

"How about you, Miss Rosa. When are you gonna be a mom?"

Basag nya sa katahimikan between us.

"I don't know. Maybe I'm not ready yet."

"But do you want to? Someday, do you wanna have kids?"

Hindi ko mapigilang mapangiti.

"Yes. I would like to be a mom, if given a chance."

Sagot ko habang nakatanaw sa dagat.

"You would make a great mom"

Matamis nya akong nginitian pagkasabi niyon.

"Thanks."

Pagkatapos ng araw na iyon, Caitie and I grew closer. Mas nakilala ko sya and she's really smart and sensitive. Pero Lorraine still don't trust me with her.

"Again!? Babe, I thought this is our vacation? Why do you have to spend so much time with them? Did you forget about our plans? This isn't even in our plan!"