72- Competition

Written: 6/30/21

Published: 7/4/21 Happy Independence Day Americans

Y/n, Gabi, and Reiner were taking a leisurely stroll through the marketplace. Although their final destination was headquarters, it would be nice to get some breakfast before training and a meeting. It was noisy with all of the citizens chatter and salesmen shouting. The market aisle smelled alive. Earthy. The sun was barely even up and it was already fairly hot.

Y/n had somewhat woken up to Gabi jumping on her in the morning. The female captain almost reflexively plunged her knife into the girl. Reiner gave Y/n a scarf and said to wear it for protection.

The female soldier was blazing hot in her scarf and military trench coat. That Armored Titan... I bet he wanted me to have a heatstroke or something. He definitely picked the right day for it, too. Not a cloud in sight. All these people are radiating their heat off... Gross.

"Good morning, Officer Braun." A passerby greeted by tipping his hat.

"Good morning." The said soldier replied.

"It's our brave warrior officer Braun! Good morning!" Another remarked.

"Hey there, little warrior." An elderly clerk woman behind some crates of fruit spoke to Gabi.

"We all have very high expectations of you." A customer of the woman added encouragingly.

"Thank you." Gabi thanked.

"That girl is cute..." Someone whispered extremely quietly. Y/n payed no attention.

"Shhh!! Can't you tell she's a Marleyean?!" Another quietly hissed. Y/n rolled her eyes. Originally, I thought he was talking about Gabi... I can't get a break, can I? But these two seem to be pretty well-known around the town, huh?

"Oh crap! I didn't notice. I hope she didn't hear me..."

Reiner put his hand on Y/n and Gabi's backs to urge them to move on quicker. Y/n resisted the urge to throw him onto someone nearby. Eventually, they arrived at the end of the internment zone. The large, black, steel gate was being patrolled by a few Marleyean guards. Reiner pulled out a few papers, Gabi imitating his actions.

One was short and stocky with a fat nose. His hat sat a little too low on his head. The other was much taller and slimmer. His hair reached the end of his neck.

"We're heading to the headquarters." Reiner told.

"Meeting about the battle, already?" The shorter one questioned.

"Seems so." Reiner replied.

"Well, guess it's good for business." The soldier commented.

"They say lately you've been makin' a name for yourself too, huh, little squirt?" The taller one teased Gabi. "Right? You were going to do a pretty big thing for a squirt your size. Let's hear about it!"

"Here." Gabi said regardless. She handed him the slip, her statement of purpose. "Heading to HQ for training."

"Alright, you three go ahead." They told.

The trio entered into the Marleyean area of the nation. The two continued eyed them strangely. "Tsk. What's up with her today?" The taller one wondered aloud. "I was sure she'd be thrilled to boast all about it."

"Yeah, she was unusually quiet today." The other agreed. "Maybe it was because she didn't get to carry it out herself?"

"Nah, I doubt she would throw away a chance to boast about something. Even for something that small."