But on nights like this, they cherished everything so much more.

Yes, she was in pain. Yes, he was exhausted. But it was calm, peaceful, almost serene as they looked around the room that now finally resembled a nursery, and took in the sight of it all. The large stuffed elephant from Armin and Annie, resting in the windowsill of that large bay window, surrounded by gifts from their loved ones. Cards displayed on the top of the dresser, and a closet full of perfectly hung up clothing for their wonderful little children. Soon, they would be parents.

And gone would be the peace and quiet everyone insisted they relish in while they still had a chance, replaced by the screaming and crying of little lungs who weren't able to communicate their needs. Gone would be nights of blissful ecstasy together that lasted hours, to be replaced by falling asleep thoroughly spent from the day and hoping to just find the other in bed for a moment of each other's sweet touch in the form of hugs and cuddles instead of sexual gratification and that pure bliss they both so enjoyed receiving, and giving to the other. Gone would be the days of reading in each other's arms while sipping on tea, to be replaced by running back and forth from one room to the next to soothe whichever child needed it in that moment.

At least, that's what everyone told them.

And yet, they still couldn't wait to hear those little lungs screaming and crying - proof that they had made those little lives and they were alive. They couldn't wait for the exhaustion of being parents, because that would mean that they were doing it right and dedicating their all to their babies. They couldn't wait for that running around, because at the other end of those doors would be what they had always secretly hoped for.

So on nights like tonight, they closed the door to the nursery and sighed, as he carried her to their sprawling bed and ran a warm bath for the both of them to share. Adding dried flowers, and soaking salts, and essences and oils to the bath until it was just right - the perfect temperature, the perfect calming scent, the perfect soothing feel. And then, he would carry her to the bath and climb in behind her, washing her hair for her and holding her close while the warm water enveloped them and they simply enjoyed each other's presence. She sighed contentedly as she felt his chest press to her back, and his soft hands around her, resting at her belly. Before she knew it, her eyes were fluttering closed and so were his, as they lay there in perfect harmony with each other. Blissful, content, and at peace.

And then, when the water went cold, he rinsed her off and helped her wash off the oils and salts from the bath before showering himself. He dried her hair, and helped her dry her body off - her belly was so swollen from having not one or two, but three babies inside her, that she couldn't reach her toes anymore, or even her knees.

She felt helpless as he had to help her with everything, but so grateful that he did help her with everything. She adored this man - her best friend, her husband, her everything. He took such amazing care of her, never once complaining or pressuring her. He did everything she would have and more. He made sure she was comfortable, content, and happy.

Everything she had ever wanted, he gave to her willingly and without complaint. Everything she dreamed of and hoped for, he provided without fail. He had given her his friendship, his honesty, his loyalty, his dedication, his love. And so he had given her everything. Everything she had ever wanted, and could ever want.

Once they were dried off, he would pull a nightgown onto her and help her to bed. He'd fetch her whatever she needed to be comfortable - a routine at this point of setting up pillows and blankets in just the right way he knew she needed them to be before running to get water and chipped ice and whatever snacks she would get those unrelenting cravings for. And then, once he was sure she was as comfortable and content as she could be, he would climb into bed next to her and kiss her again and again and again, and tell her how much he loved and adored her.