He paused, hesitating as if he wasn't sure if he should continue. It was strange for me to listen to someone else clarify my grievances, but I wanted to hear it from the perspective of someone who has faced the Capital city more recently. I used my silence to edge him into continuing.

"Well what about other industries? ... you might ask. They also depend on the DHGO and earn their share of the economy through deals with the organization, nothing like how it used to be. In the past, everything would exist in balance. This system put in place... it used to never exist. Essentially, there is currently no way to break away from this system unless someone thinks outside the box..."

"So is that why you wanted to talk to me? Because you believe I could do something about all of this?"

"You have untouched talent and a perspective unique to others. But it is up to you to make the choice."

Well what could a student who hasn't even graduated do for the world. What could I even do that could change the way things work? I wanted to tell him all this, explain that he looked for the wrong person. But I couldn't say anything back. Because at the end of the day, even though I am aware of the wrongdoings of the world, I couldn't do anything about it. I let my brother believe a lie. So what right do I have to go against that lie?

"You have a strong background in advanced cellular engineering and an aptitude for being a Doctor, don't you? But surprisingly, you still chose to study towards becoming an inventor. I looked through your documents and saw that you are quite a special case, being a student and a well-known freelance coder or inventor who has previously signed contracts with a variety of companies wanting technology that fits their requirements. Your coursework helps you with your inventions while your talent helps you adapt to all your requests. You've signed contracts with medical companies, yes?"

I nodded. Though I wanted nothing to do with a corrupt organization who only cares for their own profit, I needed to contract fees for tuition and daily expenses.

"I'm not going to be like the other professors you've talked to in the past. I've already heard their comments on the disappointment they had when you declined a transfer to a DGHO course."

I sighed in relief, grateful that I didn't have to hear another earful from a professor.

"I did the same thing back then too. I've mentioned it before a couple days ago but... " He sighed, not bearing to continue. At that point I saw a familiar glint in his eyes. It was the look of someone who lost something precious to them. Not wanting to think much about my own case, I finished off my cup of coffee and stood up, preparing to go up to the front and pay for the drink.

"Thanks for sharing all of this with me. If you ever need to talk about something freely, you can come find me. It's quite uncommon to find a friend who can see the problems from a similar perspective if you know what I mean. I'll head to my next class now. But then again, thank you for speaking up about this issue."

I walked away, sensing the sentimental and grateful smile from behind me. Before leaving the shop I heard his delayed reply from the back.

"You can come find me too if you ever need help with anything. I may not have the official qualifications anymore but my knowledge isn't any different."

I nodded and left. 

The conversation that day left me deep in thought. I had never thought that there would be anyone else who can blatantly see the wrongs of the DHGO. I took a deep breath, still lost in thought while waiting for the reply from Ivy.   

{I took math because it was an interesting class, the lectures aren't even just about math anyways. I just thought it would be quite a change from what I usually get. Because I couldn't take any science-related courses, it was the closest thing that I could take during my free time.} Ah right, we were talking about courses.

[If you had the opportunity to, would you have taken a health course?]

{Yes.}

The reply was immediate. Though it was only words on a screen, I could sense the vigour and determination being them.

[Oh. Why would you.]

I wondered if I sounded weird being too opposed to 'them'. But then again, what was there to like about that organization? All the doctors just want to cheat people until they have no money left. They had no compassion. They let innocent people die just because they had no money or power. And yet no one could understand this fact. Well those who do don't speak up about it.

{Because I want to help people.}

[Lies.]

I impulsively replied. It was like a conditional reflex. I didn't even have the time to avoid making my words harsh before I typed them out rapidly.

I grimaced. This would be sure to cause a bad impression on her.

[Sorry about that, I accidentally clicked send before I could even check what I put. What I meant was 'Legit?'] It was a bad coverup but at least I wouldn't sound like an idiot who was rude to a girl for no clear reason.

{Haha it's okay. And yes, I'd legit want to. Though I heard the program was hard, I'd love to give it a try. Also, I was wondering about this earlier but do you have any siblings? You seem like the type of person who knows how to take care of someone really well.}

My cheeks felt hot after reading that. Was I blatantly obvious whenever I went along with her and asked about her daily updates? It was quite obvious in her tone when she was feeling a bit down so I tried to cheer her up. But then again, because I could read her well, I could tell that she wanted to change the topic after talking about the courses...

I was about to reply yes when I suddenly remembered Grayson was the name that I had chosen when introducing myself to her. The name of my twin brother who I had avoided these past years out of regret and grief. I hesitated a bit. Then the old memories surfaced again.

Flashes of the car crash appeared before my eyes as I heard the very sound of my crying and yelling.

I turned around.

There, in the center of the bustling square, underneath the cover of clouds and pouring rain, stood a child in front of a pool of blood.

They could have saved them.

They could have saved the child's parents.

But they left them to die.

I'd revisited this scene so much that at this point, I could vividly remember everything from a third person view. Every time I revisited this tragic event the pain and hatred of it all coloured my vision.

{It's fine if you don't want to talk about your family.}

I smiled, grateful that she could understand my hesitation. One day, when I'd come to peace with my own thoughts, I'd tell her all the details. And at that point there is no doubt that she would listen and understand. She was my soulmate after all.

❤︎✏︎❤︎✏︎❤︎✏︎❤︎✏︎❤︎✏︎❤︎✏︎❤︎✏︎❤︎✏︎

Author's note:

When looking back now, my first chapters had bad world-building so this extra chapter was sort of needed to fill in the gaps. Hope things made a bit more sense now that I clarified everything a bit better!

Edit: I can't post these two weeks because I want to work ahead in my already-compressed online summer school program. I'll be back soon with the rest of SOTW, a fluff POV and an angst prompt.