☽ a midnight confession ☾

You sit there at your desk by the arching window overhead. In front of you piles of books, reports and notes written in your familiar messy handwriting. With the moon slowly peeking from behind the clouds, beaming onto the crumpled sheets you suddenly realize the time.

You massage the bridge of your nose, right between your eyes, trying to ease the headache from your fatigue.

Damn. Perhaps it was the test tomorrow that was getting onto your nerves, making you lose track of time while you practically glued the textbooks onto your eyes.

Sighing you tidied up the mess on your desk and hopelessly thought of her. Your dazzling and captivating girlfriend that you haven't seen in a while due to school and work. Perhaps she'd already forgotten you. Perhaps the rumours were true... she really was cheating on you. Perhaps, she'd already gotten together with your missing roommate. Your phone suddenly buzzed three times.

[Can you come downstairs? We need to talk.]

{Your girlfriend is an idiot}

[I'm sorry dude. I can explain.]

Three texts. One from your girlfriend. The other from your close childhood friend. The last from your best friend and roommate. Curious about the sudden barrage of texts, you slowly get your jacket and grab your room keys. Then, still staring at your phone and replying to your close friend and asking her about the sudden statement, you leave the room and walk slowly down the stairs.

When you open the side door of the dormitories you find the three senders standing right ahead, seemingly in an argument. It was quite dark outside but judging by their voices and common actions, you knew it was them. Ellie, your girlfriend, Josh, your roommate and Diana, your close childhood friend. Seeing an opening between the group you slipped into the space beside Diana, wondering what they were all arguing about in the middle of the night. Even an idiot could guess that you were an involved party in this argument, considering how they all messaged you at the same time. But after pausing for a bit and tracking back into your memory, you couldn't seem to find anything that could possibly be the catalyst.

Lost in your train of thought the sudden sound of a slap shook you back into reality.

"You never deserved him but at least show him a shred of respect."

As Diana was aiming to slap Ellie again, you grabbed her thin arm, holding her back.

She stared at you in disbelief and confusion, as if wondering why you would stop her. You stood in front of Ellie, pulling her behind you and putting some distance between your girlfriend and her. She lowered her arm in desperation, suddenly spitting out a harsh tone.

"Do you even know what you are doing Nathan?"

No you didn't. Though your feelings for Ellie have changed, you still respected her and treated her as best you could. You tried your best with the unfamiliar and strange concept of love. You never doubted your feelings because you had nothing to compare too. But this time, even though you impulsively moved between them, you felt stumped, hesitant about this choice.

"What even is going on?" You asked, turning to Ellie and Josh.

"I'm breaking up with you Nathan."

You paused.

"What?"

"I like Josh... He treats me better than you, because what we had together wasn't really love. We were just like simple acquaintances. Thank you for everything, but we weren't really meant to be."

Josh added, "I felt bad for Ellie, and it started with that. But now, I'm sorry dude. It just happened. If you hate me I can't really change anything. I just hope that..."