Sunshine ☀️ (sequel to 'Umbrella')

[Please read the prequel if you haven't already!!!!!!]

[NOTE: Mentions of depression- I have done research though I am not a professional in the field.] 

Intro: The first thing someone assumes after hearing the word 'heartbreak' is betrayal. But what if the pain isn't because of what they did to you... but rather what you can't do for them?

The first time I met Iaina was back when I first transferred to Kingston Private Academy, a school my great grandfather founded years ago. Generations later, the school still remains as reputable, granting special scholarships to a selected few and specializing in rare programs only available there. So in an elite mini-society, who wouldn't want to claim top spot?

Iaina made a deep impression the first time I met her. Leadership traits were something innate in everyone, but it was my first time meeting someone who took the role upon herself naturally. Taking lead so that everything will be accomplished with maximum quality and efficiency. She was an interesting person, but the moment I saw her zoning-out gaze, I felt empty. Like I was staring at an empty, gray, concrete wall. It was solid, unwilling to fall under any pressure... but it was also unwilling to let anything inside escape. The air was still, small flecks of dust floated around before being pushed down, entrapping it. It reeked of suffocation.

I broke the seemingly one-sided eye contact immediately, wondering if it was really a coincidence that I met her dead-looking gaze. She didn't seem to notice the awkward tension and immediately returned to writing down the notes and organizing the next steps. The pen in my hand felt weak under my  strong grip. I hastily tried to scribble down some notes for our history project, but I was curious. The feeling behind the gaze clung to my thoughts, unwilling to part with my attention. I sneaked a glance.

And there she was, looking normal.

The warm September air conditioning blew faint breezes around the class, making her dark brown hair flutter slightly. Her normally pale skin and cheeks were flushed a bit from the heat, retaining a trace of vitality and youth. Her eyes at first glance looked normal, but the more I remembered that look she had, the more clues I began to see. Under the thin layer of makeup, there were faint traces of dark eyelids, tainted with exhaustion and fatigue. Her eyes were very focused on the task at hand, but there were moments where she paused, and zoning out again, her eyes falling dead. It was only for a brief moment before it returned back to before.

It only started off as curiosity at first, but it slowly became a burden that I couldn't share as we became close friends. It was only with vague speculations and causal conversations that allowed me to piece together her true mental state. But in the end. It was only speculation. And as a friend whom she would occasionally talk to, it wasn't any of my business to interfere with what she had in mind. She was an independent person with goals of her own and an unwavering sense of pride. Unknowingly, I soon fell for her because of that. I fell for her kindness, brilliance, and gentle beauty.

I still remember the moment when it felt like I was in between boundaries, as if I was right at the limits. The moment where I realized I no longer felt a sense of friendship but rather... love.

Being conveniently located near a large forest, the young teens loved to camp by the old bridge known for it's gorgeous views over the lake. During my first trip here, I found myself lost. I had planned for a relaxing evening but I ended up mindlessly wandering to an unknown location with nothing but a dead phone. If no one found me I would be stuck until the morning when I could finally see my way.

I bitterly laughed. Walking around would have been pointless, as it would only get me even more lost, so I sat down in the small clearing and stared at the sky. Being far away from city lights, I could see the stars clearly in the sky. Lighting up the vast darkness with sparks of faint light. The night was quite clear and there were few clouds drifting slowly in the sky. I breathed in slowly, embracing the warm summer night breeze. The fireflies flew around, perching on top of the nearby grasses before taking off again. I could hear the faint chirp of crickets, the sound of rustling leaves and the sound of distant waves from the lake. Closing my eyes I could sense the life and calmness all around me, perhaps spending the night out here wasn't all that bad... Rustle