An Arranged Marriage With the King

After being sent away from your home kingdom to marry some foreign king you were told that you had completed your life's purpose. Well, everything other than that one task...

You never knew why all your other siblings had so much more attention and love than you. You all shared the same blood... or at least half, but you were all part of the imperial family. Though they weren't of noble birth, you loved them with the identity as the empress' first daughter and yet they all sneered at you when they heard that you were getting sold off into enemy territory for an alliance.

Pathetic.

Weak.

Worthless.

Just because you kept your head down and your mouth shut did not mean that you did not know how to speak.

Just because you acted happy and cheerful did not mean that you weren't secretly breaking down... little by little.

Yearning for the love, protection and care of a foolish king who cared not for his queen but only for his concubine and her children, you finally understood that you will never get his love. Not now at least...

Before you left the old king gave you a vial, telling you to prove yourself and he will come to retrieve you home.

For the first time in your life he smiled at you.

But at that moment you did not realize that the smile he gave was nothing more than ridicule at your foolishness.

Nevertheless, you eagerly decided to follow his instructions and kill your soon-to-be husband.

...

After watching your husband gulp down his wine and take his very last sip of air you smile evilly.

At last.

You will get to return home...

Right?

As the guards surrounded you and held you down the world blurs around you. But you're still confident that you've proved yourself. You've done what others failed to do.

Surely he'll come... won't he?

Opening your eyes and looking out into the crowd of civilians pointing and shouting at you, you realize that your head is currently restrained and your arms bound. Dressed in rags and placed in the middle of the capital square, you look up to see a sharp blade hoisted high and ready to drop.

Looking back out into the crowd you realize that your father is nowhere to be seen... and realization hits as quickly as the blade that fell onto your neck that fateful summer noon.