▪︎ chapter 24

---------------------------------------------------------

A thud on the floor startles the males inside. Hueningkais eyes widen and he looks up, afraid that the certain someone is already close enough. Yeonjun quietly unlocks the door and the figure is no longer hidden. Mouth agape, eyes unexpectedly droopy and popcorn bits surrounding the figure on the floor, Soobin can't get his eyes off a certain boy. Despite the other three eyes on him, staring intensely in the presence of the awkward silence, adding tension to the atmosphere, Soobin stands idle, still not believing a second of what he heard. His ears were lying to him, he thought for a second. But then he changed his mind, when Hueningkai slightly lifts his head up to make eye contact with him and then quickly looks away to the side, ears blossoming an evident color of embarrassment. Soobins heart flutters at that. Everything is unconsidered to him, even if that means Beomgyu and Taehyun who were holding Hueningkai, lightly drop him to the floor and let loose of him. Yeonjun clears his throat, and rubs the back of his neck sheepishly.

Hueningkai no more less, wants to pass out again, and never wake up again. He knows he's fucked up, the way Soobins staring at him without moving and his instant way of regretting the way he said it out loud. He's an idiot who's always been regretting his decisions. He thought he was brave enough, capable that his friends would accept his confession. He doesn't know if they did, but he's even more scared now since Soobin heard him. It's Soobin, he thinks and looks down at the floor even further.

"U-uh...m..I- he", Yeonjun speaks up as he clears his throat. He immediately shuts up and thinks it's better to let the silence be this way.

"D-did you hear-?", Taehyun asks

"Yeah...  yeah I did", Soobins voice interrupts Taehyuns half way through.

Hueningkais eyes blow wide as he looks up at Soobin again, the latters eyes still not leaving his. Hueningkais heart beats so vigorously, he can feel the odd shot of adrenaline coursing his veins. The sensation makes his stomach ache. He doesn't know what to do. Hes messed up things again, exposed everything, he silently waits for the rejection phase. Where his feelings will be shot down. Where Soobin will walk up to him and let him know, with all integrity, he doesn't accept Kais feelings. He wants to make himself believe it's ok to get rejected, but deep down he knows it's going to make him harm himself, do things he never thought he'd do but only cause he'd lose someone very important in his life. Be it platonic ally as well. Great, he thinks. He ruined his friendship with Soobin.

Gradually, the three leave the two alone and Hueningkai almost wants to get up and pull them back in because for crying out loud, he would never wanna be in the same room as someone he confessed to.

As soon as the three leave, Hueningkai gets up too, Soobin still stands there, in front of the door, so when Hueningkai attempts to pass through that door, Soobins arm blocks
him from leaving. The palpitation of Hueningkais heart intensely picks up its pace as two eyes look down at him sharply. He refuses to return the eye contact and patiently waits for Soobin to speak up, embarrass him and remind him he's already a taken man. Soobin doesn't talk, and Hueningkai doesn't want the atmosphere to get more dense than it already is so he takes the initiative to speak up.

"I-I need to go...", Hueningkais voice is hoarse and barely above a murmur. He knows there was no point of saying that since Soobin wouldn't listen anyways. A moment later, Soobin speaks up.

"You expect me to ignore that?", Soobins voice startles the younger. His hands clench around the door frame and his voice gets softer, but intimidating as he expects a response from the latter.

"I- don't wanna talk about it", Hueningkai says, gulping the lump in his throat. He feels like sinking underneath the floor the way he hates to be in this position right now. Now he has to go through the utterly absurd stage of denial.