▪︎ chapter 23

"Is everything alright?", Soobin asks as he leads the hesitant boy towards his couch for support. His heart is palpitating under his chest and the soft but rapid heartbeats refuse to stop because his mind is circulating about all the ideas, things that could happen or could have happened due to which Hueningkai needed to call him. The constant chain of thought is disrupted when he notices the latter limping on one foot, reaching for the sofa. He helps him, warm hands radiating the clothed shoulder of the other, and a burning sensation sends tingles to Hueningkais arms. He hates himself for freezing at the spot when Soobin technically back hugs him, both of his arms holding Hueningkais from the back and gently placing him down on the sofa.

"M-y foot", Hueningkai manages to utter. His heel suddenly ache as he rests it freely on the floor due to slipping on the stairs of his doorstep.

"Is it bad?", Soobin asks

"Y-yeah I'd say so, It hurts a lot", Hueningkai murmurs while his hands get busy trying to soothe the pain.

"Hey, wait here alright? I'll be right back", Soobin dismisses him as he jogs up his staircase and to his room. Hueningkai takes this as an opportunity to look around Soobins house. It's spacious, not much furniture but suits Soobin well. Nice wooden tiles followed by light brown paint on the wall, a campfire by the TV lounge and an open kitchen right beside that room. He also notices the insurmountable number of paintings on the wall. There's many frames in his house as well, many that have to do with him and his family being in it. Hueningkai is dying to observe them but his present condition begs him not to. Obviously he obeys, not majorly because of his condition, but because the sound of loud footsteps get audible to him abruptly.

Hueningkai whips his head around and at the sight of a first aid in the letters hand, he almost wants to sigh in relief. "C'mere", Soobin says as he sits next to Hueningkai on the sofa. He gestures towards the foot and although Hueningkai doesn't like the way he's making Soobin do everything, he also knows Soobin wouldn't let him do it on his own either.

Hueningkai proceeds to take his shoes off, heel slowly resting on the cold hardwood tiles beneath making him sigh in relief but also agony as the pressure of the floor make his heel ache. Soobin urges him to rest it on the table in front and as he does so, a plaster is taken out of the first aid kid and soobins hands gently coil around the heel with the plaster in his hand. He makes sure to wrap it not so tight so they pain doesn't increase. The burning sensation is still present. Hueningkais heart feels like exploding. In the midst of the quiet room and the only sound audible to Hueningkai is his heart vigorously palpitating, he looks over at Soobin and the way he finishes up wrapping the plaster around, concentrated and eyebrows squinting attentively. He wonders why he hadn't called Taehyun for help, he could've helped him too and wouldn't have made him anxious and sort of uncomfortable with the aura. The tension, and the silence that fits between the two is what Hueningkai knows isn't usual with the rest of his friends. Loud conversations, laughter and screaming is normal when hes around his friends, but it's way different when hes around Soobin. They both know this. The sudden change in the atmosphere and how the tension increases. Hueningkai wants to change it. They both do.

"Here. Done. Make sure you don't take it off until at least 16-17 hours okay?", Soobins soothing voice captures the silence and he looks up to Hueningkai for an answer.

"Yeah, I'll keep that in mind", Hueningkai mutters under his breath.

"Do you wanna talk about the main reason why you came over?", Soobin lightly chuckles. Hueningkai takes his feet off the table and hesitates a little before starting.

"Did I ever tell you about how my dad was in debt with my aunt?", he questions.

"Wha- I dont think you ever did. I'm...sorry to hear that", he mentions, slightly dazed by how he didnt know something very concerning.