Just Because

A couple of hours later, we were all packed and ready to seek out our new adventures. Having rough estimates of our next destintion, we started our hike.

The forest was absolutely stunning and it made our walk a hundred times more enjoyable.

On the side of the trail I saw some flowers and picked one out. I sneakily went around Viv and jumped in front of her.

"Oh. My. God, Lisa. You scared me to death."

I gave her the flower and said, "Sorry. This is for you."

"Why?"

"Just because."

She tried to hide her smile but I caught her in the act.

"Come on, let it out. I gave you the flower so I could see you smile and you're trying to hide it. No fair."

Her smile shone through after my words.

"Theeeerrree you gooo."

"Thanks, this is really sweet of you."

"You are very welc-."

"CAREFUL."

Since I was walking backwards, so I could talk to Viv, I did not see the log under my feet and tripped over it.

"Are you ok?" Viv asked in panic.

"I think so."

"Don't move, so you don't hurt yourself even more."

She took off the backpack from my back, picked me up, and carried me to an open area, where she could examine my foot.

"It doesn't seem to be anything serious, but we better not risk it," she said after a bit.

"So what now?"

"I'm gonna use the emergency phone and call the club doctor, so she can tell me what to do."

"I don't think there's a need for that."

"I do," she said, dialing a number on the phone.

Luckily, we weren't out of signal, so she could make the call.

After listening to Viv's descriptions of the situation, the doctor told her to wrap my foot and avoid putting pressure on it, so I wouldn't risk getting a serious injury.

Viv was so gentle with everything that I could barely feel her touches.

"You stay here and I'll go find a place nearby to settle down," she said after making sure she followed the doctor's instructions.

"What about today's challenges?"

"Umm, no. Your health is much more important than that."

"We need to tell the girls, though."

"I'll take care of everything. You just stay here and try to relax. Are you comfortable?"

"Yes, I am. Don't worry."

"Alright, I'll be back soon."

"Be safe."