Chapter 19

"Still trying to figure out why Mason?" Melissa asked Stiles as we walked into the hospital. She had called us and said she had something she needed to share.

"I mean, he wasn't even on the Genetic Chimera list." Stiles shoved his hands in his pockets.

"He is now." We both looked at Melissa in confusion. "Mason was born with twin embolization syndrome."

"You mean fetal reabsorption?" Lydia asked.

"Mmm-hmm." Melissa nodded.

"He had a vanishing twin in utero?"

"Which accounted for two sets of DNA."

"Can someone please say it with words that have less than three syllables?" Stiles snapped a little.

"He ate his twin." Lydia simplified.

I scrunched my face up. "Oh, God.

*****

"Mason had a vanishing twin." Stiles breathed out. He and I rushed over to the vet clinic where Scott and Liam both were.

"Now we've got a vanishing Mason." Scott sighed. My eyes widened.

"What does that have to do with him turning into a 250 year old French guy?"

So, Mason turned into the Beast, then the Beast turned into some guy named Sebastien.

"How does that even happen?" Liam asked.

"Mason's twin wasn't entirely gone. That's what made him a Genetic Chimera." I crossed my arms, it was cold outside. "The DNA was still there."

"Metaphorically speaking, the DNA of old Mason could still be inside Sebastien as well." Stiles added.

"How?" Liam cocked an eyebrow.

"Life is energy. Energy doesn't just disappear." Deaton came out of nowhere. "The Dread Doctors may have found a way to break the rules of the supernatural world but there are some rules that simply won't break."

"So, Mason can't just be gone?" I asked.

"Somewhere in Sebastien he has to still exist in some form. A spark of energy, a flicker of memory."

"Hang on..." Stiles interrupted. "Liam, you said Mason said something right before he turned."

"He said, 'That's not my name.'" Liam answered.

I gasped. "He finally remembered his name."

"Damnatio Memoriae." Deaton realized. "That's what they wanted. They wanted Sebastien to remember his name." He turned to Scott. "Scott, you know the myth of what happens when you call a Werewolf by it's given name?"

"It turns back to human," Scott answered.

"What does that mean?" Stiles asked.

"Someone can just walk up to the Beast, yell Mason's name and turn him back?" Liam asked.

"Not someone..." Deaton started.

My eyes widened. "Lydia." Scott and I said at the same time.

*****

"Lydia's in the hospital." My mom called me and told me, causing me to panic.

"What? What happened to her?" My heart rate picked up. Stiles looked towards me with furrowed brows.

"Sebastien slit her throat."

My heart dropped. "Stiles. We need to go to the hospital. It's Lydia."

The second I said that, we were in his car and headed to the hospital. I explained what happened on the way. When we got there, we sprinted in and my mom told us her room number. Rushing in, Melissa had a big needle in her hand.

"Lydia, this is gonna have to be just between us, since I can get fired for it." Melissa explained.

"Hey." I heaved and pointed at the needle.

"It's a cortisone shot. It's going to bring the inflammation down."

"Yeah, okay. I'm gonna need to leave." Stiles started inching his way out the door.

"You're not going anywhere." I sassed and walked over to hold Lydia's hand.

"Okay." Melissa said softly. "Here we go. Lydia, this is gonna hurt like a bitch."

Lydia whimpered and Scott walked by the door, motioning for Stiles to go out into the hallway. He squeezed my arm and walked outside.

Then, I was summoned outside.

"I gotta get this to Malia. Come with me?" Stiles asked. I nodded and followed him.

We got to Malia's house in about 15 minutes and noticed a car that neither of us recognized. Walking in, we saw Braedon on the ground, blood coming out of a wound on he leg. My eyes widened and my eyes flashed. Honing in on a woman pointing a gun at Stiles and I. I slapped his arm and pointed.

"Stiles? Ashlyn?" Malia came out of nowhere and pushed us out of the way, just in time for the bullets ti come whizzing past us. She pushed us into another room and glared. Stiles tripped and fell.

"It's not the full moon, Malia." The woman spoke as she walked into the room. "But you know what? It's close enough. My daughter and another Beta." She shot Malia and then pointed her gun at me.

"Stop..." Malia groaned.

Stiles pushed me behind him as we backed up. I noticed there was blood on his shirt... and a big shard of glass sticking out of his chest.

"Malia. I want my power back." Holy shit, that really is her mom.

"I want my family back." Malia lunged at her and killed her, knocking her onto the ground and slitting her throat. She got up and walked over towards us, observing the blood on her hands.

"Can someone please come and take this gigantic shard of glass out of my chest?" Stiles asked. I reached up and pulled it out.