47. Solstice Joy

So much had changed over the past few weeks, and yet, so much remained the same. Seren could hardly wrap her mind around it all. Azriel's mother was recovering slowly from her time in captivity. With Madja's careful observation, plenty of nourishing food, a safe place to sleep, and the presence of her newly reclaimed family, a glimmer of the female she had once been was revealing itself.

And she was not the only one recovering. Rhys and Feyre had journeyed to the Spring Court and returned with good news. Tamlin had shifted back into his High Fae form for the first time in nearly three years. He was already working to repair his land and one by one, the citizens of the Spring Court were returning.

Things were well in the other courts also. Eris was already making several reforms in the Autumn Court. His mother, Seren had learned, was now living in the Day Court. There were rumors that she would soon be wed to Helion, although there had yet to be any confirmation of such a claim. Helion had, however, accepted Lucien as his son when the truth was revealed. Lucien was wary, but taking strides to better acquaint himself with his true father and the court he might one day rule.

There had been little news from the Mortal Lands, but Seren knew Vassa and Jurian had gone back. From what she knew, the Humans were willing to take Vassa as their only Queen, until suitable successors for the five dead Queens were found. Their original successors were dead, likely slain by Beron or Koschei.

As for Drakon and Miryam, they had returned to Cretea. Only the High Lords and a few trusted allies knew of their location, and wards remained around the small island to protect it from outsiders.

At a recent meeting, it had been decided that the Cauldron would be returned to them for safe keeping. It was now placed back on the island where the Amulet had originally been kept. The Dread Trove was safely stored within the Cauldron's liquid bowels, and nearly impenetrable shields and wards had been placed around the island. Only the seven High Lords together could undo them.

Seren rocked Estelle gently and held up a sprig of holly. Elain pinned it in place along the mantle. "There. I think that's the last one."

"I can't believe we decorated so late," Mor laughed, slouching onto a sofa. "The Winter Solstice is tomorrow."

"We were distracted," Feyre pointed out. "Hopefully we haven't forgotten anything else."

"Don't worry. We haven't forgotten your birthday," Seren said with a smirk. Feyre rolled her eyes. Nyx toddled over to Seren and pointed at Estelle.

"Can I see?" He asked.

Seren knelt and Nyx braced his hands on her arm. He peered down at Estelle. He'd caught a slight fascination with the baby and often asked to see or touch her. He did so now and one of her small shadows wound around his finger. Nyx laughed and held up his hand.

"It tickles," he said to Feyre. Feyre smiled in reply. The shadow returned to Estelle and Nyx wandered over to Mor.

Seren straightened as several voices filled the hallway. "Come on, Eris. It was funny," Cassian called.

"I know that was just payback for all the times I've made you wait on me," Eris retorted. "Not to worry. I've learned my lesson."

Eris, Lucien, Rhys, Cassian, and Azriel entered the room. Seren stifled a snort of laughter. Snow clung to Eris' hair. He flashed her a faintly irritated look.

"Don't laugh. Your brother is a brute," he said. There was a hint of amusement in his voice.

Azriel draped an arm around Seren's shoulders. He leaned down, whispering, "Cassian let Eris stand in the meeting spot for half an hour before he went to get him."