20. Release

Seren sat in a comfortable spot near the fireplace. She sipped her tea, letting it settle her stomach once more. Her nausea had been decreasing, but it still flared up occasionally . Mor sat beside her, while Elain and Nesta sat near Feyre.

Nyx was tugging on Feyre's braid and laughing. "I can't believe Erebus brought Osiris and Seker to Ironcrest," Mor said at last. "We saw two of the mountains collapse. I knew it meant something had happened, but I never imagined this."

"At least you're home and safe now," Elain said. "I hope your theory is right, about Erebus taking his loyal forces and retreating from Ironcrest."

"What will happen if they attack Windhaven?" Nesta asked.

"There will be an Illyrian civil war," Feyre replied. "There will be one anyway, inevitably."

Elain knit her brows. "I thought we didn't want to cause Erebus to attack."

"We don't. That's why he's still alive. If we killed him, many more Illyrians would turn against us. But this way, if Erebus attacks, he is the one instigating it and not us. The Illyrians will be more likely to remain on our side."

"All of this war and politics talk makes my head hurt." Mor reached beneath the sofa and pried a bottle out of its hiding place. She grabbed a wine glass off a table and filled it. "Do you want some?" She offered the glass to Seren.

"Desperately, but no thank you," Seren laughed.

Elain and Feyre grinned. Mor and Nesta looked between the three of them. Mor squinted, leaning closer to Seren. Her brown eyes sparkled and she squealed, nearly dropping her glass of wine. "Ser, are you really?" Mor closed her eyes, breathing in. "You are!" She set her wine aside and hugged Seren with a giddy laugh.

"How long have you known?" Nesta asked.

"I suspected during our first few weeks in Ironcrest. Madja said I'm right at fourteen weeks."

"This is wonderful!" Mor gushed. "I'll take you to get some new and comfortable clothes. We can find things for the baby. Are you hungry? Have you had any strange cravings?"

"No, but hot chocolate sounds great right now," Seren giggled. Mor snapped her fingers and a steaming mug appeared before Seren. She snatched it up with a grateful smile.

"Did you and Amren start getting along in Ironcrest?" Nesta asked.

Seren sipped her drink before answering. "Yes and no. She doesn't seem to hate being around me anymore and she volunteered to work with me a few times, but I wouldn't say we're friends, or that she desires my company."

"Well, some progress is better than no progress at all. When will they be back?"

"Soon, hopefully," Feyre replied. "They were going to start moving the Illyrians as soon as possible."

Nesta stood and inclined her head. "I'm going to head home. I'll see you all tomorrow. Congratulations, Seren." She left the room.

Feyre stood as well and settled Nyx on her hip. "And it's past this one's bedtime. Say goodnight, Nyx."

"Goodnight." Nyx tucked his chin over Feyre's shoulder and waved as she carried him out of the room.

Seren drained her mug of hot chocolate. Mor snapped her fingers again and it vanished. "Elain, I have a birthday present for you. Come," Seren instructed. They left the sitting room and mounted the stairs. "I'm sorry we couldn't have a party for you this year." Elain's birthday had passed only recently.