6. Heated Confrontation

The artwork above is not mine.

•༻☾☽༺•

Seren gasped at the sight of Adriata. It was almost more beautiful than Velaris. The city was surrounded by a turquoise sea. Sunlight reflected off the lulling waves. Her flames itched to mimic the movements. She allowed small flaming bands to swirl around her arms as she followed Amren and Nesta towards the palace.

The palace had been built atop a platform on a small mountain in the heart of a crescent shaped bay. The city sprawled out beneath it, tan stone walls and red roofs visible from the sides of the platform. Heat rippled from the stone in unrelenting waves. Seren was glad she'd taken Nesta's advice and worn light clothing. Adriata was warmer than Velaris, even in the dead of summer, although that was to be expected because they were in the Summer Court.

They reached a set of sea glass doors. Seren's awe grew as they were escorted into the palace. She dissipated her flames and took in the sight. Countless windows lined the shell flecked walls, overlooking the city and the mainland beyond the bay. Sea glass chandeliers hung over bubbling fountains and a few small streams wound through open hallways.

"Streams inside of a palace?" Seren murmured.

"To help regulate the temperature indoors," Amren explained. "This way." Their escort halted and bowed and they continued on alone. Amren led them down a few winding corridors before they reached a large sunroom. Two people lounged inside. Seren recognized Varian, but his female companion was unfamiliar.

Varian perked up as they entered the room. He jumped to his feet. "Amren!" He exclaimed. Varian swept her off her feet in a spin and kissed her.

Amren indulged him momentarily, then swatted him away. "You saw me a few days ago. There's no need to act as though I've been gone for months."

"Welcome here," the female said, rising as well. Her blue eyes, akin to Varian's, swept over Nesta and Seren. "You, I know," she said to Nesta. "But who are you?" She faced Seren.

"Seren Marzena," she answered.

The female narrowed her eyes. "What are those...creatures...crawling about you?"

"Shadows," Seren replied simply.

"You're a Shadowsinger?"

"Seren is merely Azriel's mate," Amren dismissed the question.

"Ah." The female's eyes lit up with recognition. "The one he asked us to design a ring for?"

Seren held up her left hand with a smile. Her blue fire opal ring sat on her finger, as usual. "Yes, that one," Varian said. "This is Cresseida, my older sister."

"It's nice to meet you." Seren smiled and Cresseida returned it.

"So, what have you learned?" Amren asked, taking a seat. Varian sat down beside her.

Nesta claimed a seat near the window and jerked her head to the one beside her. Seren took it gratefully. Cresseida remained close to her brother.

"The Queens are still in the Mortal Lands," Varian said. "I have contacts there and I sent spies to gather what information they had. Two of the Queens were seen in a small town just south of where the Wall used to be."

"Were your spies able to speak with them?" Nesta asked.

"No. They approached the Queens, but the Queens disappeared before my spies could question them."