33. Vanth

The artwork above is not mine.

•༻☾☽༺•

    The island appeared to be deserted. All Seren could see were crumbling ruins. Waves crashed along the shoreline. "Welcome to Cretea," Mor said. She took Seren's hand and led her forward.

    "There's no one here," Seren pointed out. Mor just smiled.

    Seren shuddered, feeling as though she were walking through a thick liquid. She blinked in shock. The ruins had been replaced with a gory battlefield. Mor's expression shifted to one of horror.

    Rhys drew his sword and wings manifested on his back. "Find Miryam," he ordered.

    Mor nodded and pulled Seren onward. Seren stared at the scene, her mind foggy with terror. All around her, Fae, humans, and half fae lay in bloody heaps. She spotted feathered wings on some of the bodies.

    "What happened here?" Seren whispered.

    "Miryam!" Mor shouted. Seren kept her eyes peeled, searching for the cause of the blood soaked bodies.

    A beautiful half Fae woman appeared up ahead. "Mor!" She called.

    Mor increased her speed, going as fast as Seren could manage. Miryam reached them first. "What happened?" Mor panted, looking around.

    "We were attacked." Miryam's gaze flitted to Seren briefly. "By Illyrians."

    "What?" Seren and Mor exclaimed.

    "Drakon, wait!" Rhys hollered overhead. A male with six large feathered wings landed beside Miryam. "Those Illyrians are traitors."

    "What do you mean?" The male, Drakon, asked, his eyes flashing with fury.

    "They're allied with Beron and Koschei. I did not send them to attack you. Why would I do that?"

    "They stole the Cauldron," Miryam said. She dropped to her knees, scrubbing at her face. Drakon rested a hand on her back. "How did they find out where we were?"

    "I don't know."

    "Who is she?" Drakon was watching Seren.

    "Seren Marzena," she replied.

    "Azriel's mate," Miryam realized.

    Rhys spoke before Drakon could. "Is the Dread Trove safe?"

    "I wasn't able to check on it. I was a little preoccupied."

    "We need to make sure it's secure. And..." Rhys hesitated. "Do either of you know anything about an amulet with a red and purple stone set in it?"

    Drakon and Miryam shared a knowing look. "Yes, why?" Drakon asked.

    "I believe it might be the fourth piece of the Dread Trove. The missing piece."

    Seren blinked in surprise. The amulet I painted?

    "I used an amulet to resurrect Miryam after the Queen of the Black Land killed her. It was made by the Cauldron and gave her a Fae's long lifespan," Drakon explained.

    "Do you know where it is?"

    "On the island where we keep the Dread Trove."

    "And you never thought to mention it before?" Rhys snapped.

    "I never would have imagined it was part of the Dread Trove," Drakon retorted.

    Miryam stepped in between the two of them. "Don't fight over this. Go to the island and check on the Trove. Strengthen the wards before you leave and make sure you aren't followed. Let Rhysand see the amulet."