Chapter Eighteen

Beginne am Anfang

"It's been twenty-three days since Thanos came to Earth," Rhodes explained.

"World governments are in pieces," Natasha began. "The parts that are still working are trying to take a census, and it looks like he did... he did exactly what he said he was going to do. Thanos wiped out fifty percent of all living creatures."

"We don't know," said Steve. "He just opened a portal and walked through."

Tony scoffed. "What's wrong with him?" He pointed to Thor's direction.

"He's pissed, he thinks he failed," said Rocket. "Which, of course, he did, but that's a lot of that going around, ain't there?"

"Honestly, in this exact second, I thought you were a Build A Bear."

"Maybe I am."

"We've been hunting Thanos for three weeks now. Deep space scans. Satellites and we got nothing, " Steve spoke. "Tony, you fought him."

"Who told you that?" Tony asked. "I didn't fight him? No, he wiped my face with a planet, while the bleak street-magician gave away the store – there's no fight –"

"Okay..." Steve sighed. "Did he give you any clues? Any coordinate? Anything?"

Tony blew a raspberry, it made Steve and Natasha sigh with his behavior.

"I saw this coming by the way," said Tony. "I had a vision, nobody believed it."

"Tony, I'm going to need you to focus."

"And I needed you – as in past tense. That trumps what you need, buddy. Sorry. You know what I need? I need to shave," Tony swatted away the bowl of food on the table. The sound made Rebecca flinch. "And I believe I remember telling..." he pulled out his IV. "That what we needed was a suit of armor around the world. Remember that? Whether it impacted our precious freedoms or not. That's what we needed."

"Well, that didn't work out, did it?"

"I said, we'd lose, and you said, we'll do that together too. And guess what, Cap, we lost, and you weren't there... but that's what we do, right? Our best work after – we're the Avengers not the Pre-Vengers. Right?"

"Okay, you made your point, just sit down," Rhodes told him.

Tony fought and continued. He pointed at Carol Danvers. "She's great by the way, we need you, your new blood." He then saw Rebecca standing in the corner, their eyes met, he fell silent for a moment before facing Steve. "I got nothing for you, Cap. I got no coordinates. No clues, no strategies, no options – zero, zip, nadda – no trust, liar." He ripped off the arc reactor on his chest and handed it to Steve. "Here, you take this. You find him and you put it on. You hide."

Tony collapsed on the ground. When they brought him to a room in the medical bay was when they finally saw Rebecca standing in the corner. Still and silent. While they were settling him down, Natasha approached Rebecca and gave her some clothes to change into. Returning to the room, wearing a pair of sweatpants, a shirt, some fluffy slippers, and the jacket, Rebecca sat down on the couch. Steve came to her side asking how she was.

"Better," she replied. "My insides don't feel like mush now."

Steve nodded.

"Bruce gave him a sedative, so he'll be out the whole day," Rhodes came out of the medical room that Tony was in.

"You guys take care of him and I'll bring him a Xorrian Elixir when I get back," said Danvers.

"Where are you going?" Steve asked.