Chapter Eighteen

Depuis le début

"Where if Fury?" The woman asked.

~*~

Rebecca woke in pain. She has never felt this kind of pain before, her whole body had a burning feeling that surged through every vein, muscle, and bone. She could hear a beeping sound going louder and faster as she woke, she only realized that it was a heart monitor when she felt her heartbeat increasing much like the sound. She tried getting up but her whole body felt like it was trapped, she couldn't turn her head because of something around her neck, her right arm was restrained, and along with her right leg. Eventually, she reached out with the only arm she could use – the one that had an IV and the heart monitor attached to and removed her blanket. She saw a medical robe used by patients, her arm in a cast, and sutures in some places.

Looking around with her eyes, Rebecca realized that she was in a room that she has never been into,  white walls, multiple screens showing her vitals, and monitoring her enhanced healing. She tried to remember what happened that had her wake in a hospital room. Thanos, the name popped in her head, and like a HYDRA code word, everything came back to her. The battle in Wakanda, the fight with Thanos, the Snap, and then... Bucky.

No, no, no, she thought. That didn't happen, it was just her mind playing tricks on her – Thanos just hit her too hard that she was seeing things.

"Bucky?" She called out. Her voice was hoarse and it hurt her throat but she didn't care. She called for him again. When he didn't answer, fear was building up, like the tears in her eyes. Her heart monitor was spiking. "James!"

The doors opened and she saw Steve standing there with Bruce and Natasha.

"Whe – where's Bucky?" Rebecca asked.

"Becc," Steve began.

The look in Steve's eyes was enough to answer her question. But she wouldn't accept it. She couldn't. "I need to see him."

Steve went to her side. "Rebecca, calm down."

"I need to see James!" Rebecca cried.

The mention of the name made Natasha flinch. Bruce left and came back with a sedative, he approached her and tried to inject it to calm her down, but Rebecca flinched and moved away, not caring of the pain.

"Don't," she told him.

Steve told Bruce to take a step back and let him handle it. "Becc, please listen." His voice cracked as he spoke. "Bucky's... after Thanos snapped, he erased half of the world's population, and Bucky's one of them."

"No, no," Rebecca shook her head. Tears fell. "He's not, he can't." She tried to get out of bed but Steve held her down lightly and then wrapped his arms around her when she tried fighting him. "He's not gone, he can't!"

Tears fell from Steve as he felt Rebecca finally stop fighting and instead held on to his shirt. "I'm sorry, Becc. I'm sorry."

He could hear her muffled cries on his shoulder, she was speaking in another language. Japanese. He knew little of the language, but he didn't need to know to understand what she was saying. He lost a friend and a brother, but Rebecca lost the only person she had in her life since the beginning.

Once Rebecca was calm, Steve told her of what happened for the past seventeen days since Thanos came to Earth. They didn't let her leave the room for a couple of days until the night when she heard a ship arriving. Now that she was no longer attached with an IV with her insides regenerating to around ninety percent, and her arm was no longer in a cast, Rebecca walked out of the medical bay, she grabbed the gold necklace that had her suit and random jacket that lay around and put it on her shoulders. When she entered the room she stood in the corner, hidden from everyone in the room, not that she needed to since everyone had their focus on the same thing she was looking at. Rebecca watched stared at the holograms that showed the IDs of those who disappeared, when it showed Bucky's face, then Shuri's and King T'Challa's, Rebecca turned away and closed her eyes to stop any of her tears that would fall.