Facing The Music (Teen Fiction)

Start from the beginning

"Can we help you?" he asked.

Benji didn't hesitate, she brought out the vanilla envelope and handed it to Mr. Harris.

"I'm sorry, sir but this was said to be urgent and opened immediately," Benji said.

Mr. Harris eyed Benji shrewdly, but she kept her eyes lowered as if nervous to be there. Well, she was but it wasn't because he was someone who could make a person's career happen with the snap of his fingers.

Mr. Harris took the envelope. When Benji didn't leave, he waved his hand, dismissing her.

"I'm sorry, sir," she said. "I was to wait for a response."

Benji didn't look at the rest of the room's occupants, her sole focus was Mr. Harris. She waited, watching him as he opened the envelope and removed the single sheet of paper inside. Watched as he read the two sentences.

I am Hutch Madison's daughter. I only need a minute.

Mr. Harris snapped his head up, fury filling his face. He opened his mouth as if to shout at her but Benji didn't flinch, didn't waver. She only waited for him to take in her eyes.

He froze.

Like melted gold, her mother said. Eyes like one else. No one else except Hutch Madison.

Benji thought her eyes were stupid. But if they helped today maybe she wouldn't hate them from now on.

Harris slowly closed his mouth and it formed a hard line. He glanced down the table. Benji didn't look at who he glanced at, she wanted him to always have her eyes ready for him to know exactly who she was. He rose.

"Proceed without me," he said.

He walked to the door and held it open for Benji, she hurried out. He strode down the hallway to a corner office, Benji followed without a word. Inside was everything she would have expected from someone with so much power. Priceless art, mahogany furniture, view of the city. Harris moved to his desk but didn't sit down, he spun around, staring at Benji.

She nodded her head appreciatively at the office.

"Snazzy," she said.

"Who are you?" Harris snapped, his brows pulled together.

"I thought the note was pretty clear," Benji said.

Harris held up the now crumpled paper in his fist. "This is words on a piece of paper. It is meaningless."

He didn't talk about her eyes.

"Ah," Benji said. "Kind of like these are words on a piece of paper?"

She pulled out her birth certificate and a paternity test. She slipped them onto the desk in front of Harris. He glared down at them as if they were ruining his life. Well, not his...exactly. But by connection, it was possible they were.

Benji waited in silence, still gazing around the office like she was completely at home. The worst was over, she'd gotten here and to Harris. What came after...well she was making it up as she went along so she'd stick with that plan.

Eventually, Harris raised his head with a stony look. "What do you want?"

The gravity in his tone told Benji he was thinking scandal, millions of dollars, a disaster.

"A plane ticket," Benji said.

Harris blinked. "What?"

"I just need a plane ticket to New York."

"That's all?"

"Yup. I have a friend to stay with, but my money will only cover an Uber and a couple of meals, the ticket was the thing I couldn't afford."