Chapter 19.

May 20th, 2018.
Ivory

" Boss lady, you're looking spectacular in the red today!" Tyler says as I walked passed him

" Boss lady, you're looking spectacular in the red today!" Tyler says as I walked passed him. I thanked him, smiling still at the compliment. I was feeling good today, mainly because today was the day that marked the beginning of the getaway trip my family was taking.

The flight for New York was scheduled this evening, right at 7:30. For there, we'd stay at a hotel for a day to visit with Trina and Frank, then go down to Philadelphia to meet with Cairo's family. I already had all of my things packed, so I was just waiting for Cairo to get himself to together. He and Amira were supposed to be here at 6:30 to pick me up so that we could head straight to the hanger.

Coming back from the bathroom, I went back to my office as I heard the phone ringing. I nearly screamed as I got there, seeing who was there. I didn't know how he even got here in the first place. I made sure to prohibit him from ever coming into the office. I told Tyler, my receptionist...I even hired security to make sure that was set and in place.

" What are you doing here?"

" you look nice today."

" Damon, what are you doing here?"

" What happened to coming to visit me on Saturday? Hm?" he asked me, and I grew silent.

"...what happened? Hm? And why...why in hell did you block my number? You didn't think I was gonna figure it out?"

"...what? cat got your tongue? You can't speak now?" he fumed at me. I backed up, my hand touching the door knob.

" Ivory. Do you not wanna find out the truth? Huh?"

" I do."

" Then why can't you just follow my simple instructions? Why?"

" Damon, whatever you're into, or whoever you work for...I can help you. I just...I just can't— I can't-"

" you just can't what? you ain't tryna leave him?"

" I don't want to leave my family Damon. I mean, who would?"

" You already did though."

" But that wasn't permanently..." I state, not understanding how he hadn't understood me yet.

"...I can help you Damon. We can help each other. You tell me what's going on, and I—"

" and you what? you can't help me Ivory. The only thing you can do is come with me...be with me."

" Damon, I—"

" I said what I said." he says, cutting me off. " I wanna see you sometime next week. I would say this week, but I'll be out of town. Make it happen, will you?"

I didn't answer him, and only looked at him. He was insane if he really thought I was going to see him. I was doing anything I could to avoid him, little did he know. Did I think he had something to tell me? Maybe so. Maybe he wasn't bullshitting me and trying to coerce me...maybe there was something that he knew that I didn't. It felt like it to me, and I wanted to trust my gut.