Chapter 11.

that night, 7:00 pm.
Ivory

The club was quiet when we first entered, but it gradually got louder as we stepped further into it

The club was quiet when we first entered, but it gradually got louder as we stepped further into it. I glanced around, admiring all of the lights that were up and seeing all of the lively people that were around. Damon did tell me that the place was gonna be crowded with his friend performing, and he definitely wasn't lying.

" We can sit here, ight?" I nodded, watching as he pulled the seat out for me. We were seated fairly far from the stage, but the good thing was we were right next to the bar.

" You likin' what you see so far?"

" Yeah, this place is real tight."

" Oh, nah. I was talkin' about me." Damon says to me. I rolled my eyes as he laughed, playfully shoving him in his shoulder.

" But nah, I'm glad you like the place. This is like the night version of Sunnyside for me."

" Oh, so you're out here every night?"

" Only when I'm able." he replies. " It's like you. You only come to Sunnyside when you're able."

" Mhm." I say, looking up at him. His eyes were downward, and my eyes followed.

" That's a beautiful ring."

" T-Thank you."

" What is it? Like a 18 carat?"

" No, it's actually a 20 carat emerald." I say to him, and I watch as his eyebrows raised up.

" Damn. Your man must've paid a whole lot for that." he says, and I agree. I thought it was ridiculous that Cairo had spent millions on this ring.

" Shit, I only paid about 10 grand for my lady's ring. And you know what she did? Took it to the pawn and sold it for some other shit." he says, which made me laugh.

I didn't know Damon had a wife until he told me about one afternoon. She was two years younger than him, and had a strong passion for music, according to him. He went on and on about how amazing she was to him, and it really had me thinking about myself— and if I was being a great wife to Cairo. It amazed me when he said she filed for divorce on him, but it only led us to having more in common— as we were both split from our significant others. Only difference is Cairo and I were still married.

" How are you two doing?"

" I mean...she's ight. We're both pretty straight on about this divorce or whatever...and I see her from time to time, when I'm over in East LA. But it ain't on no slick shit, you know?"

" Yeah, I understand."

" Here's one thing I can tell you about marriage Ivy— it ain't easy. It ain't ever gon' be easy. But all the hardships, all of the bullshit that marriage puts you through—- it's worth it. It's all worth it. So don't give up on it."