Chapter 94

HAPPY READING

Jungkook and Lisa sat holding each other for a long time without saying anything. They both needed time to sort out their feelings which had surged up to the limit.

Lisa recalled the contents of a romance novel that Minyoung had written. The protagonist was thrown onto the path of tribulation from the moment she confirmed her love. No matter the adversity, the protagonist always prevailed. Lisa thought it was only possible because it was novel; reality was incomparably harsh. Which is why she felt that the sweet reality placed in front of her right now was miraculous.

"I was going to talk to you about our contract today."

His low voice reverberated through her body. Lisa pulled away slightly from his embrace and lifted her head to look at him.

"You already gave me the consent form for the family register and Soobin had been entered into the register. The terms of the contract have already been met and I know that calling it 'termination' is meaningless. So, I wanted to hear your thoughts."

"The contract was meaningless already."

Lisa calmly shook her head.

"Even if it wasn't a term in the contract, I would have gladly taken Soobin as my son. He's a lovely child that deserves to be loved. And, you've already promised me that you would be a faithful husband. Ah. There is one last condition left. If I confessed my love to you, you would give me a rose."

Seeing him scowling, Lisa smiled.

"But you're not going to give me a rose, are you?"

"...You're going to keep tormenting me with that, aren't you?"

"I won't."

Lisa chuckled. His face was filled with dissatisfaction and his expression was saying he felt wronged and frustrated but couldn't say anything.

"Since when did you love me?"

His expression turned awkward.

"I don't know."

Lisa began to ask a little about specific events from the past, questioning, 'was it then?' and Jungkook replied with 'I think it was further than that...?'

"Then, what about when Soobin came back?"

"Probably around then?"

"That long ago?"

"I thought I was going to run out of breath because you were so dense."

So says the man who timidly kept everything to himself and suffered inwardly. If it was around the time when Soobin came back, it had almost been a year. Lisa looked at him with a new gaze. So, he had been troubled on his own for almost a year. She felt sorry and also felt like laughing. Lisa spoke prudishly.

"You're something else as well. I was much earlier than you, you know?"1

After a momentary pause, he yelled, 'What?!' and grabbed her shoulders with both hands.

"Ah really, you're so cruel. And even with that, you declared you would never love me?"

Lisa retraced that particular memory and went, 'Ah...'

"I didn't know that incident bothered you."

Jungkook gave a dispirited sigh. He wondered if his internal struggles this whole time had all been for nothing.