Chapter 41

HAPPY READING

It was a place that held more than a 100 people but it was quiet to the point that even the sound of breathing could not be heard. No one opened their mouth, laughed or touched their cups.

Covered with bright makeup and colorful dresses, these women eerily spotted the same wooden expressions. This began with the Countess of Wales.

"What seems to be the problem, Countess Wales?"

"I understood today's party to be one for women. This purpose doesn't seem to fit that."

"It is just a child. Although a male child, one cannot say there has been no such precedence. Especially in the capital."

Lisa replied with special emphasis on the last word. The northern high society could not compare to the capital's high society whether it was in scale or people.

Even if one brags about being famous in the northern high society, one is simply big fish in a little pond. Lisa choose words that would hurt the Countess' pride to give her a strong warning. How about withdrawing at this point?

"If you put it that way, then I have nothing else to say."

The Countess of Wales answered, deliberately displaying a sullen expression. The sly Countess found the Duchess' provocation about the capital ridiculous.

'Just as I thought, the Duchess has been hiding her true colors.'

The gentle and docile appearance she showed at tea parties was also a lie. The Countess thought the Duchess acting as though she wasn't interested in the northern high society was a lie.

To say she had no desire to use her status as the Duchess to control the high society? That was no way she didn't have such desires. Sure enough, she was obviously in the process of passively exploring for now.

'Duchess, if you think you can seize the north high society with just your status as a Duchess, you're heavily mistaken.'

If there was world where status and rank did not have absolute reign, it was the high society. Just like the Queen could not dominate the capital's high society with just her status, the northern high society also couldn't be dominated with just status.

'Becoming a Duchess after being a princess merely appears good.'

If the Duchess thought about it a little more, she would know that much. The Countess held a lot of interest in the capital's high society so she was well-informed on the rumors in the capital and she knew what rumors were currently spreading in the capital about the Duchess.

Not all rumors were true but the Countess knew many things that the northern people did not know. For instance, she knew that the Duchess did not have a single relative and was merely one of many princesses in the castle.

There was also many suspicious points about her marriage to the Duke. According to a credible rumor source, the King and the Duke had some sort of contract.

When the Countess heard the rumor depicting the Duchess as a celestial beauty, she laughed her head off. She also deemed the rumor that the ducal couple led a happily married life to be a groundless rumor.

The Countess knew of the Taran Duke's female exploits very well. The Duke was never a man to settle for one woman.

'Duchess, if you want to hold on to that seat for long time, you have to place helpful people by your side. Not that old thing on her last legs.'