Cigarettes & Scars (Feedback)

Disclaimer: All reviews are provided directly from the feedback form. None of the reviews have been edited or altered in any way by the hostesses. What you see is what we received.

Seventh book of the session: March 27th - April 9th, 2021

•◌•◌•★•◌•◌•

ReviewerJaszElise

Comments: My review on Cigarettes and Scars: No story has ever broke me until I read this story. There were no grammar errors and the plot really kinda torn me up. But what really torn me up is how people view a teenager as a suicidal teen without getting to know what really happened to them and racial issues. Those are the two that really gets me including small conservative towns with very bad mindset on how they see things. I only read the prologue and the two chapters because I understood that losing someone that's near and dear to you is definitely tragic especially if you've been best friends with them since kindergarten. 

Payton is very fragile minded between taking care of a memorial of her best friend and going through college and shutting people out while breaking up a guy who her parents don't approve of because of his race which is really messed up if you ask me. Also that weird text she got was really scary too. Ryder is a strong Marine with a broken heart and a shattered soul. He felt like his world just collapse due to the lost of his little sister and being shut out by his parents who no longer sees him as their son. Also he felt completely empty because he never gotten a letter from Payton or a welcome hugs from his parents. The two of them are suffering from losing a best friend and a little sister. But I honestly hope that they can make amends soon or else this creep who is texting Payton starts to destroy what's left of their lives. This story is really good, but I have to be mentally prepared to continue this story to prevent myself from feeling depressed or sad. That's the end of my review.

•◌•◌•★•◌•◌•

ReviewerReggaeGirl4

Comments: I think the book is about a woman trying to find the murderer of her best friend and finally admitting to herself that her best friend's brother is the love of her life.

The book exceeded my expectations, as it was such an intense dive into the dark abyss of human emotions. What an amazing read.

The plot pulled me in instantly. I need to know who Charlies murderer is, who sends those anonymous messages, and whether or not that person is after Payton now. I root for Payton and Ryder and I am looking forward to hot, steamy love scenes. But I'm also interested in the further development of their love story.

The characters are broken, authentic, flawed and intense. Their relationships, interactions, and dialogs are highly believable and alive, just like real-life relationships can be broken and flawed. However, one thing that I didn't fully get, was Payton's relationship with Rafael. First he's the sweetest golden boy, most loving boyfriend and next thing you know he is worth less than dirt to her, and all of a sudden he is the bad guy.

The pacing is just right. You don't drag, you don't rush, and you started out perfectly with that party scene in the prolog.

I thoroughly enjoyed your description, especially when it came to Ryders emotions. Writing through a man's perspective without making him sound like a jerk who only has sex on his mind is an art that not many master. However, you have written his perspective extremely well.

I can't say much about the story progress at this point (first 5 chapters) but they held my attention all the way.

What I love about your style is its unique voice and narrative. Like the „golden light bleeding through the holes of the terminal". Your descriptions are on the spot, very poetic and vibrant on several occasions.