Chapter 38

The Flame Pokémon

I had informed the Professor that I had captured Zapdos as well. He was thrilled and informed me of where the third legendary bird was.

"I'd never thought I'd come back here again..." I muttered to myself.

I was at One Island. The very same island I came to with Bill, and the Professor had said that the last one should be on a mountain here.

I had my doubts since Bill hadn't mentioned a mountain last time we came here, but he was a Pokémon Professor so I agreed to check it out. After battling a couple of locals, I had figured out where the mountain was.

Of course, it was up north, opposite to where I was. I called out Osore so he could fly us to the mountain. The view of the island was something I could never get used to. It was unbelievably beautiful as the afternoon sunlight reflected on the water. I was prepared to stay here forever.

Osore had started cawing and had found out where the mountain was. I nodded at him and he started descending to the ground with my knowledge. We arrived at the entrance to Mt. Ember.

I could feel the heat radiating off the rocks and there was steam slowly oozing out of the multiple holes in the cave. I tied my hair up so it wouldn't make me sweat so much.

I was naive to think that my hair would be the problem. The inside of the cave was probably how it felt to be boiled alive, and I nearly walked out once I stepped inside.

"Nessie..." I mumbled, stumbling to grab her pokéball.

I stopped myself before calling for her, wouldn't she be hurt in this heat? I instead grabbed Kaen's pokéball and quickly threw him out.

"Kaen... help me!" I choked out, nearly fainting.

He quickly lifted my almost unconscious body onto his back and started running through the mountain and towards the exit. Kaen's fur wasn't helping my cause either, but I couldn't think of anyone else to run out of here with me on their back.

***

I woke up to Nessie spraying a light beam of water on my face with Spike holding me up. Everyone has gathered around with terrified looks on their face. Nessie in particular looked angry at me.

"Why did you not call me out?"

"Huh? Wouldn't you have gotten hurt?" I asked, embracing the water that Nessie had given me.

She shook her head. "My moves would've been slightly weaker, but I wouldn't have been hurt."

I suddenly felt embarrassed and quickly got up. "W-well... I know for next time then."

Weirdly though, it was still extremely hot where we were, but I noticed another party member in place of Osore.

"Lucette? How'd you get here?" I asked with a surprised look on my face.

"Lucette never left your belt. Neither did Raiden." Nessie replied.

I glanced down at my belt and saw that Nessie was indeed correct. I never realized that I didn't send the Professor my legendaries. Lucette nudged me with its head, requesting a head pat to which I obliged.

Lucette suddenly raised their head and was staring intently at something behind me. I quickly got up and saw what everyone was staring at.

A beautiful bright red and orange bird with bright flames coming out of its wings as feathers. Its triangular eyes narrowed down on Lucette as well as myself.

I slowly reached to my bag to get an Ultra ball so that I could catch this majestic Pokémon. I nudged Lucette so that they could distract the firebird and they shot an Ice Beam straight out of their mouth.

The Phoenix-like bird responded with a Flamethrower of its own, which quickly repelled Lucette's Ice Beam. Amid the battle, I threw the Ultra ball at the head of the bird.

To my surprise, it didn't resist or try and getaway. The Ultra ball continued to struggle until it stopped, I hesitantly glanced at Lucette, who was nodding proudly and proceeded to pick up the smoking Ultra ball.

"Umm... did I catch it?" I asked, dumbfounded.

Lucette nodded proudly and Raiden escaped from their pokéball. They both waited for me to unleash their final friend, and I did. The heat had died down, and the atmosphere returned to normal.

I got my Pokédex out while the three legendary birds reunited with each other, they seemed to have missed each other.

"Moltres... huh," I mumbled.

Moltres turned to me and allowed me to pet its head. I didn't feel the flames that were supposed to be on their head, but I could feel the warmth of the Pokémon through its eyes.

I wonder if they could feel the others who got captured, and I wonder if that's why Moltres didn't put up a fight. They must've been very dear to each other, and that's why they allowed me to capture them.

I grinned happily as I knew the perfect nickname. "Ok... Fawkes, welcome to our family!"

Fawkes gave me a huge nod and I whipped out my cooking utensils so I could make us all a great meal.

Sorry this update took so long! I had a busy week, but I got you guys :)