Chapter 35

Vs. Green

I stared hard at Green, who kept his confident grin as he waited for me to make my move. I gulped before calling out an attack, "Thunderbolt!"

Belphie quickly summoned a small dark cloud and I watched as the lightning struck down, but it didn't hit its target.

Green smirked. "Fire Blast!"

Charizard's mouth started lighting up with the brightest orange I've ever seen, and it let out the largest fire. I couldn't ask Belphie to dodge it because there was no way he could.

The flames engulfed Belphie, and it nearly burned him to a crisp. I went wide-eyed. The strength of his Charizard was a level above his other Pokémon. I threw Nessie's pokéball out.

"Surf!"

Nessie summoned a huge wave that covered every part of the battlefield with water, but Green still kept that cocky smirk on his face. His Charizard used its massive wings and took to the sky, and it dashed at Nessie.

I knew immediately what attack it was using, that speed could only mean Aerial Ace. Nessie read my mind and tried to dodge it, but Charizard was too fast.

Nessie was blown away and got thrown into the wall. I nearly fell to my knees. Green had just knocked out two of my Pokémon with only his Charizard. This guy wasn't the champion for nothing.

I narrowed my eyes and threw Spike's pokéball out. "Earthquake!"

Spike jumped and crumbled the ground beneath him, and luckily Charizard didn't take to the sky. Earthquake didn't do as much damage as I hoped, and Charizard lunged at Spike with an extended claw.

"Brick Break!"

Spike also began to throw down his arm, aiming straight for Charizard's head. I glanced over at Green, who still had a huge smile on his face, as he snapped his fingers.

Charizard opened its mouth and released a breath of fire into Spike's face. It was weaker than Fire Blast, but Spike was surrounded by flames. Luckily, Spike had great endurance and he managed to chop Charizard on its back.

"Earthquake!"

Spike leaped out of the fire tornado and nearly knocked Charizard off its feet. The walls began to crumble, landing on Charizard's wings and limbs, but Green still had a grin on his face.

Spike was panting roughly, he was still surrounded by the flames. Green snapped his fingers and Charizard rose from the rubble. Its wings were tattered, but its eyes were still burning with energy.

"Fire Blast!"

I saw the look in Spike's eyes as he glanced over at me. I felt my eyes tear up as the bright flames nearly engulfed him, and I suddenly had an idea. "Toxic!"

Spike's eyes lit up and glowed purple as soon as the flames struck him, but the damage had been done. Charizard glowed a faint purple while Spike had fainted.

Charizard returned to the ground and waited for my next Pokémon. I stood tall, and in front of Green, I had to. I stared at the pokéball in my hand, kissed the pokéball that gave me the courage to keep going, and threw Haru's pokéball out.

"This is nostalgic, isn't it?" Green asked, grinning. "I'll beat you again. Just as I did back when we first started."

I shook my head. "You will lose! Frenzy Plant!"

Haru roared and dug his vines in the rubble, throwing the broken ground around and smacking Charizard with the rubble. Vines wrapped around the large lizard and flung it against the wall.

I saw Green lose his cocky smile as he glared at me, but his Charizard slowly got back up. However, the toxic from Spike started taking place and I quickly took advantage of the opportunity.

"Mega Drain!"

Haru's flower glowed a bright white as did Charizard, and the large lizard went limp. It stumbled while trying to walk around, but it slowly descended to the floor. Charizard had exhausted itself and the poison, draining plus its massive attacks had caused it to faint.

I gasped. Tears started flowing out of my eyes as Haru came rushing to me. He nearly tackled me to the ground while he was crying tears of joy, and I knew it was real.

"No!" Green muttered. "It... can't be..."

He had fallen to his knees in front of his Charizard and held its head in his lap. I called Haru back into his pokéball and started walking towards Green, I couldn't say a word to him.

"My reign is over already? After all that work to become the champion?" Green questioned, his whole body was shaking. "And to... to Alyssa?"

I froze. I wanted to hear what he had to say about losing to me.

"Why? Why did I lose?" Green asked himself, I could tell tears were streaming down his eyes without even seeing him. "I never made any mistakes raising my Pokémon..."

Green called back his Charizard and turned to face me. His eyes were red with sadness. "Alyssa, although I don't want to admit it... you are-"

"Alyssa!"

Green and I both flinched and turned to the door, and we saw his grandfather, Professor Oak, eagerly walking towards us.

"Professor? What are you doing here?" I asked, rather surprised that he was here.

"I came when I heard Green beat the Elite Four, and I thought I'd surprise him when he'd become the Champion." Oak started, staring coldly at Green. "Only to find that he had already lost to you.

I glanced over at Green, who was looking down and gritting his teeth.

"I'm disappointed in you, Green." Oak coldly muttered.

Guilt stung my heart as Oak continued to scold Green. "Do you know why you lost?"

Green shook his head timidly.

"You didn't treat your Pokémon with love and trust." Oak boldly stated. "And without them, you won't ever become Champion again."

Green finally had enough and ran out of the Champions' chambers. I tried to reach out and stop him, but he was too fast.

Oak cleared his throat and smiled at me. "Alyssa, you understand that your victory wasn't just your own doing, correct?"

I nodded. "Of course I know that, but how could you say that to Gree-"

Professor Oak didn't let me speak up for Green and continued. "The bond you share with your Pokémon is marvelous! Come with me!"

He turned to the back of the room and started walking. I clenched my fists and hesitantly followed him, hoping that I would have a chance to speak for Green.

We entered a shiny room that looked as if it had just been polished from head to toe, and Professor Oak was already at the back of the room. He was in front of a machine that resembled a Pokémon Center healing machine.

"Alyssa, this floor is the Pokémon Hall of Fame!" Oak announced proudly. "Pokémon League Champions are honored for their exploits here."

He motioned for me to put my pokéballs in the machine, and so I did. Only Haru was conscious, but hopefully, they'd all be ok.

"Your Pokémon are also recorded in the Hall of Fame," Oak explained. "Alyssa, you worked hard to become the new League Champion."

I nodded while staring at my pokéballs, hoping that Green was ok. Oak continued to congratulate me for becoming the champion, but I couldn't find it in me to celebrate along with him.

The only thing on my mind was Green. I wanted to see him, hold him and tell him that he did great. Professor Oak didn't even come in time when he was in the Hall of Fame! Of course, he was upset. The next moment with a blur, and I was suddenly in my room.

Wooooooooo! Alyssa is the champion! As expected of her lol but yes! Thanks for reading!