Jake stifled a laugh and I shot him a death glare.

"Thanks for the suggestion Scarlet," I said through clenched teeth. "Now if you don't mind, I have other errands to attend to."

I walked to the door and twisted the doorknob.

"Hey, Jess," Jake called.

I turned around and gave him a bored look.

"Thanks for the muffins," he said with a side smile.

"No problem," I said and walked out the door.

The door closed, but not before I heard Scarlet's hyena-like laugh. I had a feeling that she was going to be here often and I was already getting a headache.

The day passed incredibly slowly. All it involved was me getting Scarlet snack after snack after lunch after snack - the biggest drag. Once or twice I would glance into Jake's room to see Scarlet all over him but I looked away before I could make eye contact with him. When I thought I couldn't take it anymore, Stacy walked to my desk, jacket and bag in hand.

"Ready to go?" she asked.

I got up faster than lightning and put on my jacket. "Yes, please save me."

"What's wrong?"

"Jake and his...wife, they're torture," I complained.

Stacy wiggled her eyebrows and smiled. "So you call him Jake huh?"

Leave it up to Stacy to tease me about that.

"Did you even hear the second part?" I said impatiently.

Stacy looked at me innocently. "No."

"Of course not. Well he's married," I said matter-of-factly.

"No," Stacy gasped.

"Yes. And you won't even believe what kind of person he's married to," I said with distaste.

Before I could say anything else, Jake's door opened and Scarlet stepped out.

"Jessie, Jake needs you to stay late today," she told me with a high squeaky voice.

Stacy turned to me and mouthed: her?

I nodded and looked at Scarlet. "Okay," I sighed.

Scarlet gave me and Stacy air kisses then strutted away.

"Well then," Stacy laughed.

"Yep," I agreed. "You don't mind me staying do you?"

"Of course not!" Stacy told me. "You get to stay late with that hot piece of -"

I stared at her in disbelief. "Stacy!

She laughed naughtily. "Oops, sorry. Anyways, of course I don't mind. I'm more jealous than anything."

"Okay, okay. Now get on out." I waved goodbye and took my jacket back off.

Just when I was so glad to leave, turns out that I had to stay even longer.

Taking what time I had left, I went to the washroom. I filled a sink with cold water and splashed my face with it, hoping to get rid of the headache I had thanks to Scarlet and her annoying voice. When I felt my headache start to subside, I walked back into the office.

It turned out I took longer than I thought because everyone was gone. The sky outside was beginning to darken and the only light on was in Jake's office. Taking a deep breath, I walked to his door and opened it slowly.

Jake was hunched over his desk, his arms propped on the desk surface, with his suit lying on his chair and his sleeves rolled up to his elbows. The muscles on his arm were tense and just the sight of him made me stomach clench. Up until now, I hadn't realized how much I missed him. All I want now is to be best friends again, but how much he hurt me, I don't know if I can get passed that.