Chapter - 9

It was Friday early morning 5 am, when my phone rang continuously. It was him. Yes, Aryan! I picked up the call in half-sleep. I could sense some sort of tension in his voice when he spoke up, " Aya, emergency. I need your help. Could you drop by your hospital immediately? ". I said, " I will be there in half an hour". I hung up the call and rushed to my hospital. I saw Aryan was sitting outside the Emergency room. I ran to him and asked what had happened.

He stood up and hugged me tightly. Aryan, what's up? He didn't answer me. I could understand something was wrong. I patted him and consoled him. After few minutes, he  moved from me. He told, " Aya, please save my mom! I beg you. You are the only person who could bring back my mom to me safely. You are my only hope" with sobbing. I understood how much he loved his mom. It was the first time I saw brave Aryan to cry like a weak one.

"Aryan, do you believe me right? Then, please control yourself. Stop crying like a baby. Tell me what happened to Ma. I will do anything to save her. Tell me? ". He took hold of my hands pleading me to save his mom. I told I will go inside and see her condition. I went inside ER. She was lying unconscious in the bed. Nurses were giving her drips. One of my co-doctor was treating her. I went to them and asked about her situation.

I stepped out to meet Aryan. He was still crying. I went near him and he stood up immediately. He asked, "What's up yaar? Is ma ok now? Can I see her?" I stopped him and said, " Aryan listen, please don't be shocked. Your mom has CAD that is Coronary artery disease", I paused for a while. He shouted at me, " Don't say me all these medical stuffs, Aya. Tell me is she ok or not? I want her back at any cost. She is the only family I have now. "

I tried explaining him, " Listen, CAD is a cardiovascular disease. The artery which carries blood to heart get narrowed. It might result in heart failure or heart attack. First, let me try fixing it by angioplasty and stent placement. If it doesn't work out, then we have to try for coronary artery by-pass surgery. I hope she might be cured by angioplasty itself. So, please don't loose hope Aryan. And trust me " After getting his signature in the forms, I went to OT.

I usually be cool in OT. Since, my patient is Aryan's mom, I was scared to death. If anything went wrong, he will never ever forgive me. I started operating on her. I took out a catheter and inserted into the narrowed artery and deflated ballon with wire, is passed through the catheter. I also gave some sort of medications to block the narrowed artery. I waited outside the OT to see her recover. She gained consciousness after 24 hours.

The nurse came and informed me that  Aryan 's Ma woke up. He immediately rushed inside to see her. He went near her and held her fingers tightly and leaned over her hands and cried. He told, " Thank you Ma for coming back to me safely. I was so worried ma. You are my only hope in this life. Never try to leave me alone and go Ma. I warn you! " Tears rolled down from both of their eyes. In response he wiped away her tears. Even, I was in tears seeing his love for his Mom.

Aryan turned towards me and gave a smile gesturing thank you. I went near his mom and checked for her pulse and other vitals. She seemed be all ok now. I left their ward. My phone rang and it was my mom. "Hello Aya madam, when have you planned to come back home? Is your hospital in Delhi or Dubai? Why didn't you come home for two days? If you didn't come back home now, you are dead meat for sure, Aya." She hung before even I replied.

Oh my God! I am sure mom will kill me if I didn't go home now. Also, today Amu didi is returning home from US. I have meet up with her and ask her about the conference. I informed the nurse in charge to take care of Aryan's Mom and left home in the cab. I went home and got refreshed. Ma, please give me something to eat! I am so hungry! Maa.. My stomach gave growling sounds. I didn't have anything for past 24 hours. I was waiting for her to gain consciousness. My mom brought Roti with Palak paneer and placed it on the table.

Ma! Are you still angry? If not, please feed your beautiful daughter. She gave a stare and shouted in anger, " Who is that patient Aya? You ran away from home early morning 5 am without even informing me or your papa? Two days passed and you are coming home now? You didn't even eat? Is she your mother-in-law? " Ma, stop it! Am I supposed to save only my in-laws and let others die? I am a doctor and I should treat all lives equally ma. During this heated argument, my phone rang and it displayed the name Aryan.