Grayson

I could tell that Brooklyn was acting a little strange, but I figured that she was just nervous about graduation.

I couldn't believe this day had finally come. All of us have worked so hard to get to this accomplishment, and now we're all off to do bigger and better things.

After the ceremony, all of us were outside taking pictures. Kylie, Ethan, Brooklyn and I were planning on going out to dinner together, but Brooklyn mentioned that she needed to grab something from home and that she'd meet us there.

She gave me a long kiss, then a super tight hug before going off to find her car.

I carpooled with Ethan and Kylie, so the three of us headed to the restaurant.

I was worried when Brooklyn wasn't showing up, and then when my mom said that she wasn't at home.

When Ethan and I got home from dinner, I figured that everything was fine. Brooklyn's car was home, so I figured she was too.

But when I went to see if she was in her room, all of her stuff was gone, and there was a note left on the bed.

Grayson,

I'm so sorry that it has to come to this, but I needed to leave. I have to go somewhere where I'll finally be safe and free from my father. He found out I was living with you, and I can't risk the danger of him anymore. He found out where I work, and I'm terrified that something terrible would happen to me if I stayed. Either way, I overstayed my welcome. Thank you for everything you've done for me. I will truly appreciate it all until the end of time. I was serious when I said I don't want you to forget that I love you. Because I do, and I always will. But when it comes to my father, there's more than one person I have to protect now, including you and your family. I'm never going to forget the memories made, and how I fell in love with you. I'll never forget how you taught me that it's okay to feel things. Thanks for being the first to not judge me, and the first to believe in someone like me. I never deserved someone as amazing as you, Gray. Which is exactly why I don't want you to come look for me. If you love me, you'll let me go. Like I said, I'm protecting more than just myself. I want you to have fun in college and find a nice girl who will is happy, and who can give you the relationship you deserve. I love you so much, and I'm so sorry it has come to this.

Maybe someday our paths will cross again, but for now I need to go. I'm so sorry. I hope you find someone who won't end up hurting you like me. I'm perfectly wrong for you, and I hope that you can find the girl who's perfectly right.

My heart will always be yours for the rest of time.

I'm sorry.

-Brooklyn

"No," I said, tears already streaming down my face. "No no no no no. No!"

"Grayson?" Ethan called from the hallway. He came into the room, then glancing around. "What's going on? Why are you crying, and why is Brooklyn's stuff gone?"

I shoved the note into his chest before running out of the room and slamming my bedroom door behind me as I went into my own room.

What the hell? She's gone? She can't be gone? Why didn't she tell me?

What does she mean she has more than herself to protect now? Was there a sibling I never knew about?

Was she pregnant?

Fuck, I don't even wanna know what the possibilities are. I feel so terrible.

Brooklyn was the love of my life. She was everything to me, and now I'm back to square one. I knew I wasn't meant to be happy. It was all too good to be true.

Why did she think she wasn't good enough for me? She was the most amazing girl I've ever met.

Why did she think I couldn't go with her? Why did she still feel unsafe, and why didn't she realize that I'd do anything to keep her father away from her?

Where is she going?

Why did she fucking leave me? My heart is shattered into millions of pieces. I don't know what I'm gonna without her.

I can't believe she's just—gone. This isn't real. No. It can't be. This is a nightmare, and I'm gonna wake up any moment now.

God, why can't I stop fucking crying?

This hurts so bad. I just want my girl back. I want to hug her, and kiss her, and never let go. I want to tell her that I got her, and that I'll keep her safe and warm.

But it's too late.

Nothing can save us now. She's gone, and she left me.

She left me.

Fuck.

I don't think I'm ever going to be able to fall in love again. Not unless it's with Brooklyn. She's the only girl I could ever feel this way about.

The only one in the world who could break my heart this bad, yet I'd still want her.

These are one of those times that just feel like nothing's right, and nothing could ever be more wrong than this.

I already miss her so much that I don't even know what to do except for cry about it.

Brooklyn was so amazing to me, I just don't understand how she thought that there was anyone better for me than her. Why she thinks I could find someone better.

To me, she's the only person I'd ever want to be with. She ruined me for anyone else, and now I'm all alone.

Maybe I was never meant to fall in love. The worst part is that I don't even regret a second of it. I just wish she would've believed me when I told her that I'd do anything to keep her safe.