Grayson

Brooklyn ended up deciding after dinner that she was going to stay at our house. My mom and I put the clean sheets and bedding on the bed for her, and I helped Brooklyn bring her belongings in from her car.

She insisted she didn't need any help after that, but I kept her company anyway.

Ethan had eaten dinner at his girlfriend Kylie's house, so my mom must've explained to him that Brooklyn was now staying in Cameron's old room. I was sure he'd ask me later, but I wasn't going to tell him that she had been in her car. I was just going to tell him that she needed somewhere to go.

"Hey, Brooklyn," he said, walking into the room and sitting next to me on top of the long dresser. "I don't think we've formally met. I'm Ethan."

"Nice to meet you," Brooklyn said. "I guess you could say I'm your guyses new roommate."

Ethan glanced at me before looking back at Brooklyn, who was sitting on her bed.

"Don't be afraid to make yourself at home, okay? This is your home for as long as you'd like," Ethan told her.

Brooklyn nodded. "Thank you guys so much for welcoming me in. I'll never understand your generosity, but I'm extremely grateful for it."

"Brooklyn, you deserve a safe place to go. This is one of those places," I told her. "Need anything else before we get out of your hair?" I asked.

"I'm good. Thank you guys," she said.

Ethan and I stood up, starting to walk out of the room.

"Night, Brooklyn," he said.

"Night guys," she answered.

"Night," I said.

I shut the door behind me as we walked out, and then Ethan followed me to my room.

"So, what's she staying here for?" he asked. "I'm not mad, just curious."

"She just needed a safe place to go, that's all."

"But how did you know that? Did something happen?"

I can trust Ethan. I always have been able to. He won't say anything.

I shut my bedroom door before turning back to face my twin. "I'll tell you, but you have to keep your fucking mouth shut. It doesn't leave this room, and nobody will ever hear those words leave your mouth, got it?"

"Got it."

"She told me not to tell anyone, which means that you won't say anything to Brooklyn. I'm serious about this. Not even Kylie."

"Okay," he said.

"She was living in her car. I was walking to my car the other night and I found her. She looked really scared, and I could tell that she didn't have anywhere to go. So, I told mom, and now Brooklyn is staying here."

"Wow," Ethan said. "I can't even imagine what that's like."

"Yeah," I said. "And I'll kick your ass if I hear that you told anyone. Brooklyn can't know I told you."

"It's okay," he said. "You have my word."

"Thanks, Ethan. Just be gentle around her. I think she's been through a lot."

He nodded. "Alright. I'm going to sleep. See you in the morning. Don't wake me up unless it's after seven."

"Okay, brother. Goodnight."

"Night," he said, slipping out of the room and closing the door behind him.

I brushed my teeth and climbed into bed, setting my alarm for six.

-

I usually get up in the morning and go for a run before I eat breakfast. It's been a part of my routine since my dad died—it feels like the early morning is when I can feel him the most. I always talk to him during my morning run.

I was making breakfast when Brooklyn came downstairs, already dressed for the day.

"You're up early," I said, seeing as it was only 6:45.

"I'm usually up by 5:30 or 6," she said. "Before I came here I've been sneaking into the locker room at school to take showers in the morning."

"That's actually pretty smart. The showers in the locker rooms are lowkey pretty fancy."

She laughed. "Surprising for a small school, huh?"

"I guess. They kind of pour a lot of money into the athletics though, so it makes a little sense."

"If I'm being honest I didn't want anyone to find out I was staying in my car because I didn't want my father to find me. But I feel safe here, and I feel like he's not going to figure out where I am."

"If he does, we won't let him get to you, okay?"

"Why are you being so nice to me?"

"I understand that everyone goes through things and that you shouldn't judge people unless you actually know their whole story. I have no evidence of you being a bad person. I know that people around here give you a bad rap sometimes, but it doesn't mean I believe any of them. My dad always taught me to see the good in people, and I see the good in you."

"You're a really good guy," she said. "I think it's people like you that make the world a better place."

"Hey, I'm here for you. If there's anything you ever need to talk about, I'm an ear to listen. If you need a shoulder to cry on, that's also what I'm here for. Same with my mom, and same for Ethan. We're here for you."

Brooklyn nodded. "Thank you. You know, the last time someone cared this much was when my mother was still alive. I really appreciate it."

"You're not alone, Brooklyn."

"It feels nice to know that."

"So, Ethan and I have practice from five until seven tonight, so we won't be home during that time. You're welcome to stay here, or go anywhere you want, but the house rule is to be home by midnight. Also, I can pick you up after practice and you can hang out with my friends and I if you want. Or if you wanna stay in I could keep you company."

"Sounds good. I guess I'll let you know."

Ethan came downstairs a few minutes later, making a bowl of cereal for himself and then realizing that I made enough breakfast for everyone.

"Damn it. Why can't I ever pay enough attention in the morning?" Ethan said. "Thanks for making breakfast, Gray."

"No problem. Eat up, kids."

Ethan rolled his eyes before looking at Brooklyn. "Grayson likes to pretend he's the man of the house when it's obviously me."

"Ethan, I made you breakfast. You should be nicer to me."

Brooklyn laughed. "Ethan, treat your brother with some damn respect."

"Thank you, Brooklyn. It's seriously not fair sometimes. Ethan's nice to everyone, but he's rude to me."

"Ethan, you need to be nice to Grayson. He's your brother. He loves you. You shouldn't be rude to people who love you. I'd do anything to have the one person who ever loved me back. But she's gone. She's been gone. I'd do anything if I could have my mother for one more day. Don't take your family for granted. Especially your brother."

"How are you so smart?" Ethan asked.

Brooklyn shrugged. "I just have a lot of experiences that I wouldn't wish onto anyone."