Grayson

It was Friday night, and Ethan went out with Kylie after the game like usual. They were like the school's power couple, so they almost always made an appearance at whatever party was happening that week.

I opted to stay in with Brooklyn, since she didn't feel like partying tonight. It had been a couple weeks, and we still haven't had the big conversation I knew we should have.

"Brooklyn?" I asked as we sat in my bed, watching a movie.

"Yeah?"

"What are we? I mean, I guess I'm kind of confused at where we stand."

Brooklyn looked at me. "Well, I know that we're obviously attracted to each other, and we obviously care about each other, but I just—I don't know. I'm worried that I'm just gonna drag you down. You deserve someone who can give you a better relationship. I don't know if I can do that."

"That depends. Is it something you're willing to try?"

"I can try, but it doesn't mean I'll succeed."

"Hey, I like you for you, Brooklyn. I know it seems scary, but everything doesn't have to be perfect. As long as you know you got me, I'm okay. I don't want you to think you're not good enough, because you're good enough for me. I know it's hard for you sometimes to let your feelings out, but we can work through that."

"I don't know how to describe it, but it feels like we're right and wrong for each other at the same time. I mean, I used to be terrified of falling for anyone, but with you I feel safe. Like if I fall, you'll be there to catch me safely and soundly. You're different than anyone else. It's still scary, but I feel like I have faith in this."

"I will be there to catch you if you fall," I said. "I am here. I'm not going anywhere. I don't want you to worry about me finding someone else, because I don't want anyone else. Just you."

"What are we gonna tell your mother?"

"I'll be honest with her and say that there's a girl that I really care about, and that she's beautiful, and resilient, and stronger than she knows. I'll tell her that I've never felt this way before, and that she's the only girl I wanna be with."

"I think she's still downstairs watching tv. Should you go talk to her?"

"Yeah," I said. "I think I will. Don't worry. She'll understand if I tell her how much I adore you."

Brooklyn smiled at me, pressing her lips to mine in a quick peck. "You mean a lot to me, Gray. I'm willing to take those risks to see what could happen in this."

"I'll be back," I said, getting up.

I shut the door behind me as I exited my room, heading downstairs and finding my mom in the living room.

"Hey, Mom," I said. She muted the tv.

"Hey, Gray. What's up?"

"Can we talk for a minute or two?" I asked as I sat down on the other end of the couch.

"Of course," she said. "What's on your mind, sweetie?"

"So, Brooklyn's been living us for a while now, and I wasn't expecting this to happen, but I think I'm falling for her, Mom."

To my surprise, my mother smiled. "I knew that."

"What? You knew?"

"What did you expect? I'm your mother. It's obvious to me. The way you look at her. Your face lights up when she walks into the room. The way you take care of her. I knew it from the second you first brought her home."

"And you're okay with it?"

"I can't be mad about you having feelings for someone," she said. "Your dad and I fell in love in high school. I understand it. I understand how you don't always mean for it to happen, but it does. As long as you are being careful, it's fine by me."

I smiled. "Really?"

"Really," she said. "I trust you, Grayson. You've never given me a reason not to. You've always been so responsible, and I know you won't let anything bad happen under my roof. You know I'm not strict as long as you don't give me a reason to be."

Reaching forward, I gave my mother a hug. "I love you so much, Mom. I don't know what I'd do without you."

"I love you too, Gray. I see so much in your father in you. You're so kind, and so compassionate. I'm so proud to be your mother. You're such a great guy, and you're growing up to be an outstanding young man."

I smiled as I pulled away from the hug. "I've always wanted to be just like Dad. He's always been my inspiration since I was a little kid."

"I know. You always looked up to him, and I know you still do."

"I'm gonna get back," I said, gesturing upstairs. "Brooklyn and I are watching a movie."

"Night, Gray," my mom said as I got up.

"Night, Mom."

I went back upstairs, going back into my room where Brooklyn had paused the movie. "How'd it go?" she asked.

"Come here," I said, still standing by the door.

She gave my a funny look.

"Just come here. Trust me," I said.

Brooklyn got up and walked towards me, and I pulled her into a hug. "It went exactly how I knew it would. As long as we're being responsible, she's fine with it. She said she already knew how I felt about you since the first day you were here."

"So, this is happening?"

"Say the word, and I'm all yours," I said.

"I don't want you to think that I don't have feelings towards you, because I do. More than I ever have for anyone. I want to be with you," she said. "I'm willing to take those leaps of faith with you."

Resting my hand on her face, I stroked my thumb across her skin. "I know life isn't always rainbows and sunshine, but we can share an umbrella and survive the storms together."

Leaning her forehead against mine, Brooklyn closed her eyes. "You have no idea how lucky I feel to have someone like you in my life."

Pressing my lips against hers, I pulled her even closer. Brooklyn's arms wrapped around my neck, her fingers lacing into the back of my hair as we kept kissing.

"It's me and you," I said. "It has been since the moment you walked through the front door with me."

"I know," she said. "I hope it stays this way."