Brooklyn

Being with Grayson was like indulging in a guilty pleasure. You know you shouldn't do it, yet it feels so right. More right than anything else you've ever done.

We both knew that sleeping together was a bad idea, but that's what made it feel so good.

It was like our need for each other grew exponentially with each kiss, each touch, and each whisper.

There were so many things about Grayson that simply drew me in. He was sweet, kind, compassionate.

Not to mention fucking hot.

His jawline was the sharpest I'd ever seen, and he was so tall. His strong build almost made him intimidating, but his personality balanced out with his looks.

He made me feel like I was the only person in the world that mattered in those moments, and somehow the feeling lasted long after we finished.

There's something so relieving about feeling truly safe for the first time after going through years of trauma.

I finally felt like I wasn't alone.

I wasn't alone anymore. I had Grayson now.

Even if this was never to happen again, I'd be okay with that. I was lucky enough to have him once.

I knew that if Lisa found out, she'd most likely want me out of the house, but Grayson reassured me that she wouldn't find out.

And if she did, I wouldn't be as big a deal as I thought. The house rule was that as long as everyone was staying safe and being responsible about it, sex was your personal business.

I got up to get dressed, and Grayson sat up.

"You're leaving already?" he asked.

I shrugged as I pulled my shorts on. "I didn't know if you wanted me to stay or go."

"You don't have to go. We still haven't watched a movie," he said, smiling at me as he got up to throw some shorts on.

I caught a glimpse of his bare ass and almost had a heat stroke.

But I know that we can never sleep together again. It was a one time deal that shouldn't have happened in the first place.

Grayson actually turned a movie on this time, then inviting me to sit by him as the movie started.

We are the popcorn we had made earlier, and after the movie was over, he walked me back to my room so he could say goodnight.

I didn't know why he was doing it, but I didn't mind it at all. Even though hooking up with Grayson probably wasn't my smartest move, and I knew it couldn't happen again. Yet the fact that he walked me back to my room made me happy.

"See you tomorrow," I said, opening the door to my room.

"Hey," Grayson said, gently grabbing my elbow, so I'd turn back around. "I don't want you to think this was a mistake, because it wasn't. Even though it probably shouldn't have happened, it doesn't mean I regret it. I care about you, Brooklyn. What happened tonight won't change that."

Wrapping my arms around him, I leaned my head on his chest. "Thank you, Gray. This probably shouldn't happen again though."

"I know," he said, kissing the top of my head. "But that doesn't mean I don't want it to."

I looked up to meet his eyes, and he was already looking at me.

"Goodnight, Brooklyn," he whispered.

"Goodnight," I said, pulling away from him and shutting the door behind me as I went into my room.

I pressed my back against the door, closing my eyes tightly as Grayson's words repeated in my head.

That doesn't mean I don't want it to.

We both know it shouldn't happen again, yet we both don't regret what happened.

I didn't understand. How could someone like Grayson be attracted to someone me? I don't understand how he can possibly care so much about me.

I've been so broken for so long that I can barely feel anything anymore. Honestly there's a lot of times in my life that I can even remember because I went through so much trauma. Sometimes I don't even feel like I have a soul.

Grayson and I couldn't possibly be together. Ever. He's too good for me. I'm too broken for someone like him.

He deserves someone who is confident and happy, and doesn't have emotional issues like me.

The smell of pancakes wafted upstairs and seeped under my bedroom door to wake me up in the morning, so I got dressed and went downstairs.

"Morning, Brooklyn. How'd you sleep last night?" Ethan asked as I sat down.

"I slept good," I said.

"It was kind of chilly last night. Did you have enough blankets to stay warm?" Grayson asked, putting a plate of chocolate chip pancakes in front of me.

"Yeah, I was warm," I said. "Thanks for breakfast."

"It's no problem," Grayson said as him and Ethan finally sat down at the table.

"Mom has to work today, so it's kind of a chill day here. I think I'm gonna go to Kylie's," Ethan said.

"They're inseparable," Grayson told me. "It's almost gross."

"It's not gross. At least I have a stable relationship instead of a new girl every week," Ethan fired back.

"Not every week," Grayson said.

"Oh, so you have a girlfriend that you didn't tell me about?" Ethan asked.

"No. But the last girl I was hooking up with for a certain amount of time was jealous that I was even having a conversation with someone else, so I stopped seeing her," Grayson said.

Ethan laughed. "Wait, wasn't that Kenna?"

"God, she's so annoying," Grayson said. "She got mad that I wouldn't be her boyfriend, but she was being a total bitch, so it's not like I wanted to. Plus she got mad at me for defending Brooklyn, so I was done."

"Defending me?" I asked.

"Yeah," Grayson said. "She was being all judgey towards you and it pissed me off. I told her to get the fuck out of my car and to not say another word."

Ethan rolled his eyes. "Kenna's like that to any girl who isn't herself," he told me.

"She always gives me dirty looks at school. Like ever since I got my first tattoo and my nose ring."

"Just ignore it. You're better than her anyway," Grayson said. I didn't know if he meant sex-wise, or personality wise, but it made my face turn a little bit red.

"Thanks, Gray," I said.

"Hey, we have your back," Ethan said. "I hope Kenna's phone charger only works at a certain angle."

Grayson laughed. "I hope the other side of her pillow is warm at night."

I smiled. The fact that they're protective of me and even my feelings that barely exist makes me feel wanted. I always felt like I didn't belong anywhere, but then I felt like I belonged right there in the Dolan house with Ethan and Grayson.

This is home now. It has been the second I stepped through the doorway a few days ago.