16

Brooklyn

The night had actually been going pretty well until Benji showed up at the party.

As soon as his creepy eyes met mine, my breathing completely stopped and I shuddered, telling Grayson we needed to go immediately.

As Kylie, Ethan, Grayson and I walked towards the front door, my worst nightmare came true, and Benji grabbed my arm, turning me around to talk.

"Brooklyn. Pleasure seeing you here."

"Let go of me," I warned through my gritted teeth."

"That's not a polite way to greet a family friend now, isn't it?"

"Let go of me," I yelled this time, prompting Grayson to pull me away before he stepped in between Benji and I.

"Who the hell are you?" Benji asked.

"I'm Brooklyn's boyfriend, and if you touch her again, you'll be six feet under in no time."

Benji laughed. "Wow. You think you're all tough, don't you?"

"Don't talk to my brother that way," Ethan interjected.

"Guys, let's just go. Please," I said, my heart rate starting to pick up.

Benji was a terrible person, and the things he did to me when I was younger will forever be scarring and unforgivable.

"Aren't you gonna introduce me, Brooklyn? Or is this just your hookup of the week?"

"It's not like that," I told Benji. "I love him."

"She's just saying that. She doesn't actually feel that way."

A tear slipped out of my eye. "He's not telling the truth, Grayson."

"I know," Grayson said. "I believe you."

"Don't act like you're not a white just because you have a boyfriend," Benji said.

That's when Grayson lunged towards him, punching him square across the face. Benji stumbled back before aiming a punch at Grayson, who ducked. Benji fell foward, and Ethan and Grayson both started punching him.

They were going at him so hard that Benji was nearly passed out until Kylie and I got the twins to let it go.

"Let's get out of here," I said as I jogged through the door.

We all climbed into the car, and Grayson instantly wrapped his arms around me as Ethan started driving.

Letting me cry into his chest, Grayson didn't say anything. He knew I'd tell him eventually, so he wasn't gonna push. He knew I just needed to cry it out.

I had a feeling that Benji showing up had something to do with my father, and he was still trying to scare me and make me feel unsafe.

Even without any form of contact, my father is still trying to hurt me.

He knows what Benji did to me a long time ago, and he was the first to laugh about it. I was traumatized, and even just seeing Benji's face and hearing his dumb voice makes me relive those horrifying memories.

After we dropped Kylie off, we went home, and the twins both sat with me and my room while I hyperventilated and cried.

"Brooklyn, we got you," Grayson said, his arm rubbing up and down my arm. "You're safe. Nobody can get to you here."

"I can't believe he showed up," I sobbed. "It brings all of the terrible memories back, just when I felt safe enough to be happy."

"I'm sorry, baby," Grayson said, kissing the top of my head as he pulled my head closer to his chest. "I got you, and we're here for you, okay?Nothing bad is going to happen to you. You're safe here."

"God, I hate crying," I said, chuckling at myself as I stared up at the ceiling. "What did I ever do to deserve you guys?"

"Brooklyn, you might not realize it, but you're a really good friend and person," Ethan said. "You're like my second sister."

"And by far the best relationship I've been a part of. Not that there's been many," Grayson said.

"I'm sorry that tonight got ruined," I said.

"It's not your fault," Grayson said. "That asshole was such a damn prick."

"Grayson and I are gonna beat his ass if he ever steps foot around you again," Ethan said.

"Probably even worse if he ever so much as looks at you again," Grayson added.

I giggled. "He deserved it, and still does. I just have a feeling my father wanted Benji to come find me, so I'd get scared. That's just the kinds of things my father does to torture me. It's a never ending cycle. There's always something coming next."

"We're always gonna do everything we can to keep you safe, B," Grayson said. "I'd do anything to keep you safe."

"I need to go to sleep. Tonight has been exhausting," I said.

Ethan hopped up from my bed, telling Grayson and I goodnight before leaving the room.

I got comfy in my bed as Grayson shut the light off, and then he climbed in beside me. Pulling my back against his chest, he made sure I was cozy in his protective arms.

"I love you, Brooklyn," he said. "I'm not going anywhere."

"I love you too," I said. "And about what Benji said, I—"

"Baby, I didn't listen to a fucking word that came out of that guy's mouth. I know that your feelings for me are real. Nobody could ever convince me otherwise unless it was coming directly from you."

"That would never happen," I said. "I'll always love you no matter what."

"I'll always love you too," Grayson said. "No matter what."

"Goodnight, baby."

"Goodnight," he said.

It took me a little while to fall asleep due to the anxiety induced by Benji tonight, but I eventually fell into the state of unconsciousness where I didn't have to deal with any of my problems. I was so tired that my mind didn't even dream that night.

No nightmares, nothing. My mind simply just rested. A complete state of nothing.

Grayson truly is my rock. Without him, I'd probably still be having a panic attack right about now. But he knew everything I needed to calm down, and he helped me right through it without an ounce of judgement or skepticism.

He completely trusted me too, which means a lot to me. That means our relationship is going well, and I couldn't be more grateful for that.