Chapter One: The Beginning

So here's the deal: as one of the last of Earth's survivors, I, Sierra Terrence, have decided to record everything concerning all the events leading up to my current situation. But in order to do that, I'll have to start at the very beginning. Which, if I'm accurate, started two years ago with the declaration of war. The Communists of China and Indo-China had attacked the Phillippines with the intent of taking over the world, driven mad and deranged due to the new power they possessed thanks to their new apocalyptic weapon. Once the Phillipines fell, Mexico was next, then what used to be part of the Soviet Union in the 1950's. Country after country, nation after nation so they continued just as to join those who had fallen into the palms of the Communists. Not long after Italy was taken, I started watching news reports of Chicago, New York, Los Angeles, and other major United States cities being bombed. That was never the end of it. It continued until there was so little, the Earth became too inhospitable in most parts of the world for living. In my opinion, what's the point in taking over the world if there's nothing left to control by the time you actually have control over it? However, most of my friends and I were, as far as we were concerned, in no danger at all. Though I just couldn't shake the feeling that our time would come soon enough. Enough of the background, my part of the story began nine months ago at Mary Star of the Sea Elementary in San Pedro, California.

I was a Catholic schoolgirl with dreams that couldn't be suppressed by the war. I always hid away my feelings and emotions. My strategy to forget about the war was by pretending it wasn't happening even though it was all around me, throughout my life, effecting it, changing it, worsening it. How I acted was like my mask and it still is even in my current situation. But no matter how hard I tried to hide my growing fears of the war reaching us, my two best friends, Liora and Ali, saw right through my guise.

LIora was lively with that slight touch of serenity and always had the wildest smile. Nothing could dampen her spirits. She had short, brown hair that was cut to her nape and was often styled in a ponytail with her bangs clipped to the side or just plain down. Her lively brown eyes told a lot about who she really was and that was loyal, friendly, cheerful, and tough when she needed to be.

Ali on the other hand was more outgoing and had no shames. Her reddish-brown hair was slightly wavy to straight and fell to about her mid-back. Her eyes were a bright brown with no fears and that undeniable coolness that just couldn't be hidden. She always spoke with confidence and that was what ruled her and what helped her rule.

I was mostly a nobody. The only things I had going for me were my grades but right now, that doesn't help me much, and my convincing lies. I could tell a lie and if I really didn't intend for anyone to find out the truth, no one would doubt my word. Up until that year, I had always been Miss Prim and Perfect herself; my innocent streak that made me such a shmooze. Not that year though; that year, I showed my mean streak which had quite a sense of sarcasim and wit as well as a lot more cussing. my appearance of dull brown eyes could hide anything I wished. My silky, medium brown hair wasn't much to look at but I always thought of it as my cloak that hid me from the world, completely untrue of course but it was all just pretending of course. I wore glasses that helped with my terrible eye sight and didn't help at all with my looks, casting me further into the stereotype of a complete geek.

However, this isn't a story about my childhood, it's about my part in War Wold III and it's about to begin.