21 | Welcome Back, Guest

RILEY OPENED THE DOOR. The smile that was plastered on her lips whispered relief although her eyes shouted nothing else but unease.

"Come in and please make yourself at home," the twenty-year-old kindly lets the guest enter the house.

"Thank you for your kind gesture but please, don't be too formal with me," the tall lad confidently stated.

Riley led him to the sofa in the living room. The man then placed the tiny bag that he brought onto the small table in front of them.

"Riley Florence," she jolted her hand towards him for the lad to shake and he agrees to her invitation, "I'm glad to see you again."

"Cedric Harper. It's, once more, a pleasure to meet you. Clare might be upstairs, I presume?"

"She is," Riley awkwardly stood up, "I'll call her so you two can talk."

He just nodded as a reply.

Anxious, the lass stopped walking mid-way up the stairs when she heard Clare's voice.

"What are you talking about?"

Riley then decided to go nearer - taking minor yet peaceful steps.

"W-wait... W-why are you telling me this just n-now?"

She peeked through the small gap from the door. There, she saw Clare who was standing on top of her bed, looking straight towards the mirror on the wall. Although the girl's back faced Riley, she could see the younger's reflection through the glass. She's crying - a dreading expression deeply engraved on her face.

"B-but why?" she continued while her knees slowly inched their way onto the bed. As her hands excessively wipe the tears from her face, she sobbed, "I t-trust you... I don't think I will after this."

Riley's expression immediately changed to fret but it didn't hinder her to knock on the door. Three knocks were all it took for Clare to look in her sister's direction and for Riley to visualize Clare's crimson red tears.