20 | Inform Her, Chase

THE SEVENTEEN-YEAR-OLD flinched when she thought her body found contact to the bottom of the endless pit.

Droplets of sweat and tears were absorbed by her pillowcase. She kept on reassuring herself that what happened was just an awful nightmare even though it felt like it was all true. With her blanket covering most of her body, she pulled it upwards to hide underneath.

"What happened?" Chase asked, "Clare?"

Her heart started to tighten — the arteries held the organ with tension. Quieted, she ignored his question. She, instead, pretended like she's fallen asleep.

"Why are you hiding?" he titters, "It's nine in the morning. You're supposed to drink one pill earlier at seven."

Tears started brimming under her eyes from the notion of the word seven.

"You're seventeen? You're now seventeen, right?" her thoughts echoed although she wants to hear nothing else but silence.

Chase then shook her, lightly.

"Are you awake?" he asked, "Riley's concerned about you. She went into your room earlier."

Awkward silence shortly sneaked through the room. Chase's stern yet calmed voice was the only thing that's ceasing the stillness between them.

"She read your journal," he slowly mumbled, "but I stopped her mid-way."

Clare's eyes widened as she let the remaining tears fall from the edge of her eyes.

"She read an address," he continued while his fingers twirled between the girl's blanket, "I think that belonged to the convenience store you informed me before."

Clare's crying hindered her from talking. Even if she wanted to respond, she remained silenced by her ranging thoughts.

"I didn't even know you wrote all the things I said until Riley came here," he then smiles, sadly, although the girl couldn't catch a glimpse of him.

"Clare,"

"Show yourself, " her thoughts muttered, "Tell him to come upstairs."

"I need to inform you about something."