The Biggest Gift of All

HERO

Only Jo would want to wander around Regent's Park in the freezing cold. But I can't say no to her, I can't deny her this if it's going to help her, but I certainly need to warm up.

"Do you want me to grab us some hot drinks? We can sit down and drink them then continue round and back on ourselves," Jo nods in response to me. Thank God I'm freezing.

"Yeah sure. Could I have a hot chocolate please?" I smile before placing a kiss on her cold lips, releasing her hand so I can head to the cafe.

There's no one else in the cafe waiting to be served, so I head straight to the front of the counter, an older gentleman shuffling forward to serve me on the till.

"What can I get for you?" he fiddles with the glasses on the tip of his nose before poising his finger to till in my order.

"I'll have a cappuccino and a hot chocolate please,"
"Medium?" I nod and tap my card on the reader, paying for our drinks. I only have to wait a few minutes for them to be ready. He places cup holders around them to protect my hands from the heat, but I'd gladly take the burn, it might help me get back some feeling in my hands. Jo's hands have been keeping mine warm, I should have brought gloves like she did.

Jo's sat down on one of the benches, overlooking the lake towards the Japanese garden island. From here I can hear the trickles of the waterfalls, we'll visit there after we've warmed up with our drinks. As I approach her, she's looking out to the lake, deep in thought. One hand rests on the top of her bump, the other in the middle. I can tell something is on her mind, the cogs visibly turning.

"You look very deep in thought, sweetheart. Everything okay?" she looks over to me, her face still showing just how much she's thinking. Jo nods yes as I sit myself down at her side, my arm reaching over to hold her to me. Her blues look down to her bump before moving back to mine. She takes hold of my hand as she turns to face me. My hand rests on her bump, feeling our baby moving gently underneath me.

"What about Willow Langford Tiffin?" I don't have any words. It's... it's.... Perfect. Willow. Our little girl, Willow. It's so different but so beautiful. She has a name, finally.

"Willow," I let the name roll from my lips. I love it. I love how it sounds, how we both say it. That's her name.

"Yeah, what do you think?" I smile, move my hand to Jo's cheek and pull her into a kiss. Her lips are cold but soft. We mould around each other as I smile into our kiss. Jo pulls away.

"Do you want to know her full-full name?" I know she means her middle name too. I've been wondering what the secret is about her middle name. My Mum already knows this clearly, but why she's not told me doesn't make sense.

"I would," Jo closes her eyes, inhaling in, mustering... something. Confidence, maybe?

"I'd like her middle name to be Georgia, Hero. After your Dad. He won't be able to meet her, but he'll be a part of her life, no matter what," Fuck. That was the last thing I expected her to say. Willow Georgia Langford Tiffin. It's perfect. I love it. I love her. I love Jo... It's as simple as that. It's taken me all these years to come to my senses and just with our Daughter's name, everything falls into place.

I don't even realise, but fresh, hot tears begin to fall down my cheeks, and I have to look away to try and compose myself. The back of my hand covering my mouth, stopping any sounds from coming out.

"Hero, it's okay, come here," Jo opens her arms to me and just allows me to let the emotions come out. I feel my shoulders move up and down in time with the muffled, small sobs. She strokes her hands through my hair, shushing me. She's going to be the most amazing mother to Willow. She's such a lucky little girl. If I can be half of the father my Dad was to me, I know I won't go far wrong with Willow.