♡ Chapter 17 ⋆ Someone has cut out a piece of my heart.

Ella ran and ran until she couldn't anymore

Ella ran and ran until she couldn't anymore. It was late at night and she felt like she had nowhere to go. She ran mindlessly into the woods until her legs gave up.

She looked around her with tears in her eyes. She was at the lake. Their spot. She slumped down on the ground, dirt, twigs, and pebbles made a harsh impact on her bare knees. Her chin trembled as a wave of emotions washed over her. She could see everything before her eyes. That tent, the love in his eyes, their laughter, their fights, everything...

She sat down slowly and wrapped her arms around her knees and rocked her body back and forth like she had gone insane. Her breaths coming out short and heavy. She mumbled incoherent things through her hands and choked on her sobs. A deep urge to scream erupted from her gut. She put her fist in her mouth to stop it... To suppress it as tears rain down her face, biting it so hard that she could feel her teeth gnawing into her skin. She fell to her side again, curling into a ball, not caring about the insects and dirt. She looked as though she might faint.

Crying, clutching her chest to stop the searing pain in her heart. A terrible weight fell onto her shoulders as she lay still on the ground. It was as though a giant boulder landed on her and she couldn’t straighten out. She laid there on the ground in the dark for only God knows how long.

When a soft morning light fell on her eyelids, she opened her eyes and stayed like that for a few minutes. She had to go back home. She fell asleep on the cold, muddy ground last night. She sat up and her whole body ached and shivered. She slowly stood up with trembling legs. She took tiny steps as she walked back to her home.

At her home, her parents were hysterical looking for their daughter. After the game, everyone left but Ella was nowhere to be found. Matthew and Caroline called all her friends. No one knew where she was.

"Matt, inform the police" Caroline cried

He shook his head. "I can't report her missing. It has only been nine hours."

"She is just a teenage girl, a lot can happen to her in nine hours. We can't just sit and wait" she sobbed. "Call Mr. Harding, he will do something" she suggested.