Chapter 23

A/N: We do not own any of the universes mentioned herein. Please review!

Chapter 23

The crew of Enterprise had been transported to Iconia Prime from the dying ship. They had rematerialized in a large area specially set aside for that purpose. The area was huge, but with the arrival of over fifteen hundred people, it seemed crowded.

Shortly after they arrived, Deanna Riker had been reunited with her husband. His status as a Q had been explained to her, as well as to Worf and Cadman, but to no one else on board. It had been decided long ago, by Jim Kirk, that the fewer people outside the military who knew of Qs being command level personnel in Starfleet, the better.

Deanna Riker, and an Iconian psychologist, Jerry Hutchison, had worked with the crew, helping them get over the sense of loss they felt at the ship's destruction.

Then, after two weeks of being on the sphere, the entire crew was summoned to Earth through the stargate.

On Earth...

William Riker stepped off the transporter pad. He was at Starfleet headquarters in San Francisco, and the man stepping forward to greet him was James Kirk. "Welcome, Will," Kirk said warmly. "How were things at Iconia Prime?"

"Good, Sir. The r and r was great, but the crew is wanting to get back out there."

"Understandable," Kirk said as he steered Riker down a corridor, "and I think I've got just the ship for you to use."

They rounded a corner and Riker stopped. "This is a Section 31 ship?" he asked as he saw where they were heading.

"The bortaS," Kirk confirmed. "She's a Sovereign class vessel."

"Revenge?" Riker asked, translating the Klingon name. "I admit, I've thought of nothing more than getting some since Weyoun destroyed Enterprise, but I'm not sure…." He stopped as Kirk held up his hand.

"She's been recommissioned, Commodore. Her registry is now, NCC-1701-E."

"The new Enterprise is a dreadnaught?" Something Kirk said finally hit home. "Commodore?"

"Yes. You know we transferred Yomato to DS9 right after Enterprise was destroyed. You'll be going back as well. Admiral Picard will ultimately be in control of both airwings. You are in charge of Enterprise' wing."

Riker was stunned but managed, "Thank you, Sir"

"You've earned it, Commodore."

They entered a conference room where they found Worf, and Laura Cadman waiting. They greeted each other, then another door opened and Douglas Fargo entered. Something about the way the younger man walked to the table and sat down bothered Kirk for a moment, then he realized what it was.

"Admiral," Fargo asked, "Is something wrong?" He was scowling somewhat as he asked, and Kirk realized he was staring, his mouth open slightly in an 'oh'.

The admiral shook himself and grinned slightly. "I just realized that you've shaved."

"Yes," Fargo said. "I have. I shave every… morning." He gave Kirk a strange look then asked, "Don't you?"

"Unless I'm camping," Kirk said, then sat down at the table. Riker was giving a strange look at his boss as well, and Kirk shook his head, saying "I'll tell you later."

Fargo decided to let the incident pass. With Q, you never knew what they knew about your future. He stood dramatically, and said, "So, Commodore Riker, Captain Worf, Commander Cadman, I present to you, theEnterprise-E." As he said it, he pushed a button on a remote control in his hand. Nothing happened. He turned it over, and checked on the power cell. Then he looked back at the four waiting expectantly, gave a shaky laugh, and slapped the remote against his other hand a couple of times.